Old 29-03-2008, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Damping off

Has anyone tried moving the moldy plants outside? If so what were the
results? I moved my seedling into starter six packs, added a little
potting soil and put them outside two days ago. Plants still look
healthy and I am disinclined to intervene. How crazy does this sound?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 29-03-2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:15:33 -0700, Billy wrote:

Has anyone tried moving the moldy plants outside? If so what were the
results? I moved my seedling into starter six packs, added a little
potting soil and put them outside two days ago. Plants still look
healthy and I am disinclined to intervene. How crazy does this sound?

Heh heh...when I had the crud, it persisted....thru transplanting, thru
moving outside, thru sunlight and gentle breezes.....until I set them
in the ground...they turned out fine. Maybe I should have washed the
starting mix off the roots before transplanting.

Seems like you have two options...treat em and see what happens or
start over. Make that three options....do both.

Me? I'd let 'em be.

BTW...is your crud tannish brown and when you hit it with spray, it
effing explodes in a mini-cloud of spores or powder or whatever it is?

I'm looking at 10 starter six packs with my damp off afflicted seedlings
in them. The 2 gm. of Mycostop ($16) is good for a cubic yard of potting
soil. I could nuke the little *******s but the plants seem fine. The
mold looked like downy mildew. It is down around the roots and was on
the surface before it got buried under potting mix. My understanding is
that the damping off likes it warm and humid. Well, right now its got
humid and 40F to 60F. I'm hoping that some kindred fool out there has
done the same as me and can relate their experience.

Really, I don't know what I'm thinking, I'll nuke 'em tomorrow. Can't
hurt. But this stuff is like buying weapons grade anthrax with the
signing and printing of your name and address, ect.

Almost got some more planting done today but the showers kept coming and
going and chased me inside. Got to weed whack some of my green manure
first. Tomorrow is supposed to be good, I'll get a new tray started too.

Lovey doesn't want me doing too much because I just got a cataract
roto-rootered. Boy was I surprised to find that our kitchen is painted
white instead of a pastel yellow. It didn't happen for my mother in law
but my sight is almost normal again. For me, it was like lasik.

Well off to put in more time with Carlo Petrini, lord is he hard to
read. It seem that every sentence has three or for subordinate clauses.

Old 29-03-2008, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Damping off - Take two

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

read. It seem that every sentence has three or four subordinate clauses.

Old 29-03-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:26:43 -0700, Billy wrote:

Well, OK.....if we have to do it twice, we'll do it twice......

I'm looking at 10 starter six packs with my damp off afflicted seedlings
in them. The 2 gm. of Mycostop ($16) is good for a cubic yard of potting
soil. I could nuke the little *******s but the plants seem fine. The
mold looked like downy mildew. It is down around the roots and was on
the surface before it got buried under potting mix. My understanding is
that the damping off likes it warm and humid. Well, right now its got
humid and 40F to 60F. I'm hoping that some kindred fool out there has
done the same as me and can relate their experience.

The times I have had seedlings damp off, I didn't see anything other
than a failing seedling that laid over and just below the soil line the
stem was "pinched".

I had white mold, like cotton, on the surface of the seedling soil and,
as i discovered when I repotted, around the roots, especially if there
was a cavity in the soil.

Check this out for more information than you want and a simple test to
determine a couple of types of pathogens.

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/...licationId=230

Damn fine article. You say that your fungus continued until you planted?
The cool temps are probably the reason why I haven't seen any sign of
the scourge since it went out side.

The part about mulching the green manure two weeks before planting is a
bummer because mulching and planting is what I had planned to do
yesterday before the showers chased me inside. Fortunately, what I have
to plant didn't suffer from the damping off, so I guess today will be
another day of gonzo gardening.

Really, I don't know what I'm thinking, I'll nuke 'em tomorrow. Can't
hurt. But this stuff is like buying weapons grade anthrax with the
signing and printing of your name and address, ect.

Neighbors gonna have to use plastic and duct tape.

I think "The Department of Homeland Security" only recommends that now
in case of an imminent nuclear explosion. That's what you get from an
administration of the "mentally and morally" infirm.

Maybe, I should hang out an orange flag, out of civic duty, but then I'd
probably end-up with a bunch of confused "trick or treaters". Decisions,
decisions, it's "Lonely at the top" time again.

Almost got some more planting done today but the showers kept coming and
going and chased me inside. Got to weed whack some of my green manure
first. Tomorrow is supposed to be good, I'll get a new tray started too.

Lovey doesn't want me doing too much because I just got a cataract
roto-rootered. Boy was I surprised to find that our kitchen is painted
white instead of a pastel yellow. It didn't happen for my mother in law
but my sight is almost normal again. For me, it was like lasik.

Excellant!! You have just the one what needed vacuuming out?

Both was my understanding but the doc that did the procedure, was only
in for the one. There has to be at least a month between procedures for
the scabbing up. I'll see the optometrist next week and we'll hash out
the second one then. In any event, there is a 3 -4 month back log to
wait and by then the harvest will be very close and as I said there is a
month's recovery afterwards. I may just have to walk around goofy until
then. One eye is good for distance now and the other for real close up.
The situation is similar to before the procedure but the difference now
is much greater and the role of the eyes has reversed. Probably be a
week before I stop trying to use the wrong eye.

I sat thru the procedure with one of the folks we support.....all
gowned up and peering thru the second set of magnifiers. (Yep, small
town horsepistol and good relationship with our opthalmologist....he
loves teaching, even us pig-ignorant old sods) Simply amazing to watch
it done, even though the procedure is actually relatively simple, in
technological terms.

I'm glad I was on the gurney (with drugs). I'm sure it looks a whole lot
more gross than it feels. One of the docs, probably the
anesthesiologist, read to me from "In Defense of Food". I'm sure it was
as a distraction to keep me focused on the narrative, instead of the
roto-rootering. Unfortunately I don't remember a thing from his reading.

I've only just learned that Pollan has written half a dozen books and
co-authored 3 - 4 more. Now I want to read "Botany" and "Defense".
Problem is, that if San Andreas giggles a little bit, the stack of
unread books above my head may bury me.

You listen to Lovey and don't be bending over too much and increasing
pressure on your peeper.

What, me do something stupid? Lovey should probably just hog-tie me for
her own piece of mind.

Well off to put in more time with Carlo Petrini, lord is he hard to
read. It seem that every sentence has three or four subordinate clauses.

One of our Heros, yes. "Slow Food Revolution"? It's been on my to-do
list for some time. I'm just getting around to finishing Omnivore's D.

The first three chapters require real effort (at least they did for me)
because of his writing style. Also, a la Rick Stevens, he keeps putting
himself into the discussion (picture). It's hard to tell where the
information, his assertions, leave off and his ego begins. Sometimes
this kind of narrative works for me but first I need some emotional
investment in the author. I get the feeling that the book could have
been a sixth the size without the first person voice.

So much to read, so little time......so much to learn and so much to
unlearn.....

Charlie

Time for breakfast and then, "GONZO GARDENING".

See ya at the garden fence later.

Old 29-03-2008, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 3/28/2008 7:15 PM, Billy wrote:
Has anyone tried moving the moldy plants outside? If so what were the
results? I moved my seedling into starter six packs, added a little
potting soil and put them outside two days ago. Plants still look
healthy and I am disinclined to intervene. How crazy does this sound?

I once read that peat moss can prevent damping off, according to the
following reasoning:
Damping off is caused by a fungus.
Peat moss is acidic.
Weak acids inhibit fungus.

I don't do much seeding; but I do take cuttings, which can also be
affected by damping off. I use a 50-50 mix of coarse sand and peat
moss. Fertilizer can promote damping off, so I add no nutrients to the
mix.

I have done occasional seeding. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 29-03-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

So much to read, so little time......so much to learn and so much to
unlearn.....

Charlie

Time for breakfast and then, "GONZO GARDENING".

See ya at the garden fence later.

G-d Opened My Eyes 2:35 Philip Glass Book of Longing (rough mix)
Classical

Seems to me that physical stuff gets our attention. However
relationships may be of more import. Cultivated we can deal with
physical stuff but mind is where it is. What that is is ..... where
should the new deciduous azaleas be placed. Moving things in time and
space.

Bill

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 29-03-2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

QUITTING THE PAINT FACTORY

On the virtues of idleness

By Mark Slouka - Harper’s Magazine ? November 2004 issue

"Love yields to business. If you seek a way out of love, be busy;
you’ll be safe, then."

Thanks Charlie!

A good read that should be more about.

I've got a book dealing with the virtue of idleness but it is buried
some where. A Buddhist text still truth is of course universal.

Bill 48 out today 73 yesterday whew

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 29-03-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:

QUITTING THE PAINT FACTORY

On the virtues of idleness

By Mark Slouka - Harper’s Magazine ? November 2004 issue

"Love yields to business. If you seek a way out of love, be busy;
you’ll be safe, then."

Thanks Charlie!

A good read that should be more about.

I've got a book dealing with the virtue of idleness but it is buried
some where. A Buddhist text still truth is of course universal.

Bill 48 out today 73 yesterday whew

You sound like me temp wise....48 right now and it reached 81
yesterday...I was out yesterday getting my flower beds ready for
spring...weeding, etc. and I made plans to "spring clean" the house
today...glad I did it that way or I'd be out there freezing my butt off
today! And now on to supper...
~Rae

damping off debacle!! 0tterbot Australia 6 22-11-2007 10:01 PM
Sungold Tomatos - Damping Off? scrambled egg United Kingdom 0 20-04-2006 07:14 PM
damping off miklol United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:56 PM
Germination medium to prevent damping off Neil Jones United Kingdom 13 27-02-2003 10:29 AM