Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cheapie Reusable Plant Markers

On Mar 31, 1:06 am, Charlie wrote:
Many of you probably do this, but for those who don't know...

Cheap plastic knives, forks and spoons make excellant plant markers.
I cut the knives in half and cut the handles off the spoons and forks,
with a pair of wire dykes. Write on them with a fine point sharpie and
you are good to go.

I've used "popsicle" sticks before and they bleed and mildew.

--
Care
Charlie

Here's what we use.
Buy a used, plastic, mini venetian blind at the thrift store. You can
usually find them for a dollar or less.
Disassemble it and cut the slats into whatever length you want. One
good sized blind will make several years worth of plant markers.
One other tip, use grease pencil for marking. Permanent marker is not
permanent out in the sun.

Ross.

Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
Google Earth:
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:47:22 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I have also found that thin plastic markers get very brittle in the
sun and heat. I discovered a box or popsicle sticks (originally
1,000) that still had about 900 in my FIL's stuff. Maybe they do
bleed and mildew, but for the price I can throw them away.

If I really wanted to be frugal about them I could probably wash them
in some bleach and dry them in the sun. That way there would be about
700 left when I die.
--
Susan N.