Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered User

Question Grape Vine

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and gardening in general and i need some advice about my grape vine. The vine was bought for me as a moving in present and is very well established.

The trunk is approx 6"-8" thick and about 5ft tall. It is in a large 3ft pot and it did have new growth on it (no grapes) when i received it but this was quickly broken off in high winds. The truck divides into 2 branches in a 'Y' shape at the top with 2 or 3 pencil think branches coming out of each arm.....

I would like to train the vine against a wall if at all possible and wondered about how best to do this? I have bought some vine hooks to go into the wall with the idea of putting some paralell wires in. Is this the correct thing to do? If not then what is? If so then how far apart to they need to be etc

I believe the vine was expensive (£150) and the last thing i want is to damage it as it looks really attractive just as an ornamental item.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grape Vine

"mw80" wrote in message

[...]

It sounds perfect for what you plan as does what you have proposed. The
only qualification I would give is to make sure that you plant it in a spot
where it will get full sun and you live in a very warm climate where you
don't get freezing groudn in winter.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
Reply at the end.
"mw80" wrote in message

[...]

The best is a South facing wall, or at the very least a West facing wall.
[ in the U. K. ] . If you live in a different area it may vary. The
principle is that the wall warms up in the day and releases the heat at
night. In victorian times walls were built in such a way that a fire could
be lit inside the wall to keep plants warm. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
mw80 wrote:

[...]

Is the vine Vitus vinefera? Do you want it to be principally ornamental
or to bear fruit?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered User

Yes it is a Vitus Vinifera (white grape i believe) and i would like it to be principally ornamental. I just want to do it justice!

The wall is South facing and i live in the UK (Midlands)

Any suggestions Billy?

Thanks to everyone else for their replies

Old 07-04-2008, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
mw80 wrote:

'Billy[_4_ Wrote:
;782602']In article ,
mw80
wrote:
-
[...]

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Vitus Vinifera have
compound buds, a primary growing point and two lateral growing points,
which is to say that you get three chances to push from each bud. If you
were growing for fruit I'd recommend leaving 24 buds from the previous
year but since you're not, prune it as you want. The rapid growing new
shoots may be killed at temps of -2C - 0.0C. Older vines can withstand
-12C but most will be killed at -18C. If temps may drop to this level,
the vine should be pruned and buried under mulch and dirt, to protect
it. Some vines, like Folle Blanche and Columbard, have reportedly
survived colder temperatures. If the wall that you are growing the vine
against is of a heated structure, that will give added protection to
your vine.

White grape vines will have yellow leaves in the Fall. Red grapes will
have red and yellow leaves. The color of the grapes are produced in the
leaves and translocated to the fruit.

Enjoy and have a pint for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post
In article ,
mw80
wrote:

'Billy[_4_ Wrote: