GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crows v Grimm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/175544-crows-v-grimm.html)

grimm 05-06-2008 02:46 PM

Crows v Grimm

Hmmm.

The crows are eating my first earlies... (potatoes)

I've managed to outsmart them with C.D.s on strings but no doubt the little hoores will figure it out sooner or later.

Any other ideas for bird scares?

(Bar buying a gun, getting a cat, making a fully blown scare-crow)

:) Ta.

beccabunga 05-06-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimm (Post 796572)
Hmmm.

The crows are eating my first earlies... (potatoes)

I've managed to outsmart them with C.D.s on strings but no doubt the little hoores will figure it out sooner or later.

Any other ideas for bird scares?

(Bar buying a gun, getting a cat, making a fully blown scare-crow)

:) Ta.

Crows are intelligent.

However, we found that a potato hawk worked surprisingly well: A large potato with two long feathers, one on each side, hung from a tall pole so that it hovered above the threatened plants.

grimm 06-06-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 796660)
Crows are intelligent.

Unfortunately I agree.

Wow, good idea! :D

I'll definitely try that, I quite like irony... A potatoe with feathers protecting potatoes. :)

Thanks beccabunga!

Keep 'em coming if you have any other ideas.