Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

I took on an allotment plot earlier this year, and quickly cleared half
of it to grow at least some crops this season whilst I intensively
double-dig and clear the other half. All of that is going well.

So, now I want to make a compost bin. Eventually I plan to have 3.

I have scavenged 4 pallets each of which is 3ft x 4ft which I intend to
use to build a box that is 3ft square and 4 ft high. One of the sides
will be loosely (but securely) tied in so that it is removable for access.

But what to do next? I have read so much here and on google that I am
utterly confused.

Firstly, should I line the box with something like lino or old carpet in
order to keep the heat in or leave it as it is to allow for aeration?

Secondly, do I have to stick to a strict regime as to how I build up the
layers? I was just thinking of simply piling in layers of stuff as and
when I harvested crops throughout the season , maybe throw in some grass
cuttings from home, maybe throw in paper from the shredding machine,
maybe throw in some straw if it available.

Do I have to add accelerators? Do I have to add lime? Do I have to turn
it? Do I add worms? Do I have to pee on it LOL!!

Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am
now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly
sickly sludge that it no good for anything.

Ed

Old 01-08-2008, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Just dump it in a pile and keep it damp. Does not matter whether you
layer it or otherwise.

It's really not rocket science. g

I personally use construction grade giant trash bags. Fill them and
leave them open at the top. I let them sit for a year or so.

Makes great compost.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:44:51 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

I use leaves and leave it in the rain gutters for a couple of years.
:-) Also makes great compost.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Lazy bastid. giggles

My neighbors did that. I was oh so tempted to hang a ladder over the
fence and snag that baby wild chili petin I saw growing in the rain
gutter on the corner of their house!

We raked a bunch of leaves into a corner of the yard once. Never did get
around to bagging them. They composted down in less than 6 months, in
the shade no less. Leave grass clippings on the lawn. They go away in
less than two weeks, and enrich the lawn.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:59:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Yet if you leave the kitchen trash on the front lawn, the neighbors
will complain. Go figgur.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

How do you build your compost/humus heaps Shel' baby?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Smell control is a different subject.

If I dump kitchen garbage that I know will stink, it gets a little dirt
or a layer of leaves over it.

Not necessary for composting.

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

It also keeps pets out of the trash.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote in
:

[...]

You don't have to do bugger-all to make it work. All that scientific
stuff will get you efficiency improvements. Depending on a lot of
things those improvements may be small or large. Start simple and
figure out what could be better based on experience.

I just use wire mesh "bins" which I turn no more often than monthly. In
my cool dry climate it takes a season to produce good compost. I've got
the time and the space, so...

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/
Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Yes, and compost is a noun.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compost
Main Entry:
com·post
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin compostum, from Latin, neuter
of compositus, compostus, past participle of componere
Date:
1587

1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and
is used for fertilizing and conditioning land 2 : mixture, compound

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Aug 1, 12:17*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

also if i ever come across a worm on the sidewalk he/she goes into
the compost. (alive!!!)
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I would not use anything except chicken wire to line the boxes. You
do need some air circulation.

Other than that- you don't need to do anything except start adding
compostable material. The beauty of compost is that it works all on
its own. Sure, if it gets really dry you can hose it down a little.
You can add stuff in distinct layers (kitchen scraps/grass/soil for
example) and you might speed things up a bit. But none of that is
necessary. Um, you mentioned pallets- are they solid on the bottom?
Will it be impossible for worms to migrate into the compost? If so,
you might want to put some soil with worms on the bottom to start.

Chris
Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"z" wrote in message
[...]

Composting works in every way that people choose to do it, organic stuff
just can't help rotting down. I once tipped a wheelbarrow full of weeds
onto the ground because I needed the wheel barrow for other purposes, and 4
days later when I picked them up, the centre was hot, it had started. Make
as many containers as you can, and make them as big as you can. It'll work.

Steve

Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Look up "compost" in your merriam-webster and you will see...

Main Entry: com·post
Function: noun

1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and is used
for fertilizing and conditioning land
2 : mixture, compound

.... as the first definition. Second definition is the verb form.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Sheldon wrote:
snip...

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

And you mash chickpeas to make hummus...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]