Old 27-09-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How much soil mix for lettuce

I've got some lettuce started to grow in a season-extending greenhouse.
How deep does the soil need to be to get good root growth and hence good
sized heads? I'm planning on using some old window boxes, with drainage
holes drilled in them.

The good news; I dug into the old part of the back-to-back compost bins,
and there's nothing there but about a foot deep layer of beautiful black
humus.

Old 28-09-2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 27, 8:00*pm, Gary Woods wrote:
I've got some lettuce started to grow in a season-extending greenhouse.
How deep does the soil need to be to get good root growth and hence good
sized heads? *I'm planning on using some old window boxes, with drainage
holes drilled in them.

The good news; I dug into the old part of the back-to-back compost bins,
and there's nothing there but about a foot deep layer of beautiful black
humus.

Hi there Gary i think what you are saying is that you are going to try
growing the lettuce into the window boxs??? which is no problem at all
and you should get good lettuce although you might not get amazing
size not because the roots wont develop i'm thinking more about the
cramping conditions above the soil I don't know how big the boxes are
but i i would consider a cut and come again lettuce which will do
better in a cramped enviroment and you can just keep using the leaves
more often when you need them instead of waiting for ages until the
lettuce have developed into big heads. I hope this helps :-) Need
more information try and visit www.gardeningcareblog.com
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
I've got some lettuce started to grow in a season-extending greenhouse.
How deep does the soil need to be to get good root growth and hence good
sized heads? I'm planning on using some old window boxes, with drainage
holes drilled in them.

The good news; I dug into the old part of the back-to-back compost bins,
and there's nothing there but about a foot deep layer of beautiful black
humus.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

My leaf lettuce does great in flower boxes 8" deep.