GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fermented Pickles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/182227-fermented-pickles.html)

Andy Petro 02-04-2009 05:51 PM

Fermented Pickles

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

Bill[_13_] 02-04-2009 06:03 PM

Fermented Pickles

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

Short answer is shelf life. When I have made my own pickles they are
used to extend the harvest usually till next year. Then the cycle is
repeated. I have been know to purchase canned pickles with lactic acid.
Calcium chloride I don't know about. However Sodium Benzoate is death
to my taste buds.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.

Mark A.Meggs 10-04-2009 11:26 PM

Fermented Pickles

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:51:36 -0400, "Andy Petro"
wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

CaCl is to keep them crisp, rather than soggy/limp. I've never used
either one when I ferment pickles and haven't had an issue with
sogginess (I do use grape leaves, which add tannic acid - this is
supposed to make them crisper).

When I do it, the ingredients a thick layer of clean, fresh grape
leaves top and bottom; cukes; brine; dill, garlic, dried hot peppers.

- Mark

Bigal 11-04-2009 04:57 PM

I pickle shallots (do you call them that?) in the UK just using spiced vinegar. However I keep them in a net bag in a dry place for about three months before I pickle them. This takes a lot of water out of them and allows for a better absorption of the vinegar. They stay nice and crisp for about two years and are not too bad at three years, Some people leave them to soak in a strong brine (sodium chloride/salt) solution over night instead as this also removes some of the water. Trying them both together might put some of the water back in.
Bigal (UK)