GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/182777-pick-off-early-flowers-cherry-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 19-04-2009 03:21 AM

pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Tim 19-04-2009 02:27 PM

wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Every year I experiment with one thing in the garden. Two years ago it
was mulch on half the pepper plants. In july, the mulched plants were
twice as large, and much more healthy looking. Last year they all got
mulched. I've done the same with my 'maters, plucking the 'sucker'
branches, the first flowers one friend says the same for peppers too
Anyways, I've never experienced any noticeable difference in my garden,
so I don't do any of that any more.
Try an experiment and pluck half the plants, see if it makes a
difference at the end of the year...

Tim

mleblanca 20-04-2009 03:45 AM

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Wow I couldn't pick off flowers! I never do and my cherry tomatoes
always
spill out of the top of a eight foot cage. I let them do what they
want and they
seem to have _plenty_ of energy and fruit too!
Emilie
NorCal zone 8

Billy[_7_] 20-04-2009 05:24 AM

pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:45:59 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yep. Don't waste time and early fruit on plucking.

Charlie

Ah?
--

- Billy

Billy[_7_] 20-04-2009 06:03 AM

pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ah....what???

Charlie, wondering what the hell was in my tea????

Just plucking around ;O)

I had yellow gentian, chamomile, and fever few tea yesterday. They are
all good for inflamation. My god! is yellow gentian bitter. Damn bitter.
Lovey-poo was not content. I made another pot of just chamomile.
The stiff neck that I've had for three months and had seen a doctor
about, went away, and I slept like a rock until my bladder was about to
burst (yeah, yeah, I know, too much information). Oh, and Lovey-poos
knee, which is where all this started was much better today.
Coincidence? Who knows? Who do I trust more, big pharma or weeds?
Dumb question, but I still talk to my doctor who is totally ignorant of
herbs.
--

- Billy

Billy[_7_] 20-04-2009 07:06 AM

pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Interesting article...kinda sorta along the lines........

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...f-health-care/

I have very good results with cat's claw and turmeric for
inflammation. I also use devil's claw for osteoarthritic flareups in
me knee.

Cayenne works too. ;-)

Charlie

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....aemelum+nobile
Chamaemelum nobile - (L.)All.
Camomile

Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Anodyne; Antiinflammatory; Antispasmodic; Aromatherapy; Nervine;
Stomachic; Tonic; Vasodilator.
Camomile is a common herb with a long history of safe and effective
medicinal use - it is widely used as a household herbal remedy. It is
particularly useful as a remedy for various problems of the digestive
system, as a sedative and a nervine, it is especially suited for young
children[4, 20, 21]. A tea is made from the flowers and this should be
prepared in a closed vessel to prevent loss of the essential oils[4].
The flowers are anodyne, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, nervine,
stomachic, tonic, vasodilator[4, 14, 21, 37, 165, 201]. The
single-flowered form is the most potent medicinally, though it can in
large doses damage the lining of the stomach and bowels[4]. For this
reason, the double-flowered form is usually preferred since this
contains less of the alkaloid that causes the problem[4]. The flowers
are gathered in the summer when they are fully open and are distilled
for their oil or dried for later use[238]. They should not be stored for
longer than 12 months[238]. The whole herb is used to make a lotion for
external application in the treatment of toothache, earache, neuralgia
etc[4]. The essential oil is used in aromatherapy. Its keyword is
'Soothing'[210].

-----
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....tum+parthenium
Tanacetum parthenium - (L.)Sch.Bip.
Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Antiecchymotic; Antiinflammatory; Antispasmodic; Aperient; Bitter;
Carminative; Emmenagogue; Sedative; Stimulant; Stings; Stomachic;
Vasodilator; Vermifuge.
Feverfew has gained a good reputation as a medicinal herb and extensive
research since 1970 has proved it to be of special benefit in the
treatment of certain types of migraine headaches and rheumatism[238, K].
It is also thought of as a herb for treating arthritis and
rheumatism[254]. The leaves and flowering heads are anti-inflammatory,
antispasmodic, aperient, bitter, carminative, emmenagogue, sedative,
stimulant, stings, stomachic, vasodilator and vermifuge[4, 7, 21, 36,
46, 53, 100, 165]. The plant is gathered as it comes into flower and can
be dried for later use[7]. Use with caution[165], the fresh leaves can
cause dermatitis and mouth ulcers if consumed[238]. This remedy should
not be prescribed for pregnant women[238]. A tea made from the whole
plant is used in the treatment of arthritis, colds, fevers etc. It is
said to be sedative and to regulate menses[222, 238]. An infusion is
used to bathe swollen feet[257]. Applied externally as a tincture, the
plant is used in the treatment of bruises etc[7]. Chewing 1 - 4 leaves
per day has proven to be effective in the treatment of some migraine
headaches[222].
-------

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Gentiana+lutea
Gentiana lutea - L.
Yellow Gentian

Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Anthelmintic; Antiinflammatory; Antiseptic; Bitter; Cholagogue;
Emmenagogue; Febrifuge; Refrigerant; Stomachic; Tonic.
Gentian root has a long history of use as a herbal bitter in the
treatment of digestive disorders and is an ingredient of many
proprietary medicines. It contains some of the most bitter compounds
known and is used as a scientific basis for measuring bitterness[238].
It is especially useful in states of exhaustion from chronic disease and
in all cases of debility, weakness of the digestive system and lack of
appetite[4]. It is one of the best strengtheners of the human system,
stimulating the liver, gall bladder and digestive system[238], and is an
excellent tonic to combine with a purgative in order to prevent its
debilitating effects[4]. The root is anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory,
antiseptic, bitter tonic, cholagogue, emmenagogue, febrifuge,
refrigerant and stomachic[4, 7, 9, 14, 21, 165]. It is taken internally
in the treatment of liver complaints, indigestion, gastric infections
and anorexia[238]. It should not be prescribed for patients with gastric
or duodenal ulcers[238]. The root, which can be as thick as a person's
arm and has few branches[239], is harvested in the autumn and dried for
later use[4]. It is quite likely that the roots of plants that have not
flowered are the richest in medicinal properties[4].

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
Oscar Wilde
--

- Billy

Billy[_7_] 20-04-2009 07:19 AM

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I usually check here first:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal...tory_Index.htm

and then look he
http://www.pfaf.org/index.php

More digging tomorrow. Gotta go.

Hasta manana
--

- Billy

[email protected] 23-04-2009 04:15 AM

pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

.... and, now I know what to do with the tomato flowers I pick off in
early season. Into the pot!

Thanks!