Old 19-04-2009, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?
Old 20-04-2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Wow I couldn't pick off flowers! I never do and my cherry tomatoes
always
spill out of the top of a eight foot cage. I let them do what they
want and they
seem to have _plenty_ of energy and fruit too!
Emilie
NorCal zone 8
Old 20-04-2009, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:45:59 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yep. Don't waste time and early fruit on plucking.

Charlie

Ah?
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ah....what???

Charlie, wondering what the hell was in my tea????

Just plucking around ;O)

I had yellow gentian, chamomile, and fever few tea yesterday. They are
all good for inflamation. My god! is yellow gentian bitter. Damn bitter.
Lovey-poo was not content. I made another pot of just chamomile.
The stiff neck that I've had for three months and had seen a doctor
about, went away, and I slept like a rock until my bladder was about to
burst (yeah, yeah, I know, too much information). Oh, and Lovey-poos
knee, which is where all this started was much better today.
Coincidence? Who knows? Who do I trust more, big pharma or weeds?
Dumb question, but I still talk to my doctor who is totally ignorant of
herbs.
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Interesting article...kinda sorta along the lines........

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...f-health-care/

I have very good results with cat's claw and turmeric for
inflammation. I also use devil's claw for osteoarthritic flareups in
me knee.

Cayenne works too. ;-)

Charlie

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....aemelum+nobile
Chamaemelum nobile - (L.)All.
Camomile

Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Anodyne; Antiinflammatory; Antispasmodic; Aromatherapy; Nervine;
Stomachic; Tonic; Vasodilator.
Camomile is a common herb with a long history of safe and effective
medicinal use - it is widely used as a household herbal remedy. It is
particularly useful as a remedy for various problems of the digestive
system, as a sedative and a nervine, it is especially suited for young
children[4, 20, 21]. A tea is made from the flowers and this should be
prepared in a closed vessel to prevent loss of the essential oils[4].
The flowers are anodyne, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, nervine,
stomachic, tonic, vasodilator[4, 14, 21, 37, 165, 201]. The
single-flowered form is the most potent medicinally, though it can in
large doses damage the lining of the stomach and bowels[4]. For this
reason, the double-flowered form is usually preferred since this
contains less of the alkaloid that causes the problem[4]. The flowers
are gathered in the summer when they are fully open and are distilled
for their oil or dried for later use[238]. They should not be stored for
longer than 12 months[238]. The whole herb is used to make a lotion for
external application in the treatment of toothache, earache, neuralgia
etc[4]. The essential oil is used in aromatherapy. Its keyword is
'Soothing'[210].

-----
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....tum+parthenium
Tanacetum parthenium - (L.)Sch.Bip.
Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Antiecchymotic; Antiinflammatory; Antispasmodic; Aperient; Bitter;
Carminative; Emmenagogue; Sedative; Stimulant; Stings; Stomachic;
Vasodilator; Vermifuge.
Feverfew has gained a good reputation as a medicinal herb and extensive
research since 1970 has proved it to be of special benefit in the
treatment of certain types of migraine headaches and rheumatism[238, K].
It is also thought of as a herb for treating arthritis and
rheumatism[254]. The leaves and flowering heads are anti-inflammatory,
antispasmodic, aperient, bitter, carminative, emmenagogue, sedative,
stimulant, stings, stomachic, vasodilator and vermifuge[4, 7, 21, 36,
46, 53, 100, 165]. The plant is gathered as it comes into flower and can
be dried for later use[7]. Use with caution[165], the fresh leaves can
cause dermatitis and mouth ulcers if consumed[238]. This remedy should
not be prescribed for pregnant women[238]. A tea made from the whole
plant is used in the treatment of arthritis, colds, fevers etc. It is
said to be sedative and to regulate menses[222, 238]. An infusion is
used to bathe swollen feet[257]. Applied externally as a tincture, the
plant is used in the treatment of bruises etc[7]. Chewing 1 - 4 leaves
per day has proven to be effective in the treatment of some migraine
headaches[222].
-------

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Gentiana+lutea
Gentiana lutea - L.
Yellow Gentian

Medicinal Uses
Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse
effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional
before using a plant medicinally.
Anthelmintic; Antiinflammatory; Antiseptic; Bitter; Cholagogue;
Emmenagogue; Febrifuge; Refrigerant; Stomachic; Tonic.
Gentian root has a long history of use as a herbal bitter in the
treatment of digestive disorders and is an ingredient of many
proprietary medicines. It contains some of the most bitter compounds
known and is used as a scientific basis for measuring bitterness[238].
It is especially useful in states of exhaustion from chronic disease and
in all cases of debility, weakness of the digestive system and lack of
appetite[4]. It is one of the best strengtheners of the human system,
stimulating the liver, gall bladder and digestive system[238], and is an
excellent tonic to combine with a purgative in order to prevent its
debilitating effects[4]. The root is anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory,
antiseptic, bitter tonic, cholagogue, emmenagogue, febrifuge,
refrigerant and stomachic[4, 7, 9, 14, 21, 165]. It is taken internally
in the treatment of liver complaints, indigestion, gastric infections
and anorexia[238]. It should not be prescribed for patients with gastric
or duodenal ulcers[238]. The root, which can be as thick as a person's
arm and has few branches[239], is harvested in the autumn and dried for
later use[4]. It is quite likely that the roots of plants that have not
flowered are the richest in medicinal properties[4].

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
Oscar Wilde
--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I usually check here first:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal...tory_Index.htm

and then look he
http://www.pfaf.org/index.php

More digging tomorrow. Gotta go.

Hasta manana
--

- Billy

Old 23-04-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

.... and, now I know what to do with the tomato flowers I pick off in
early season. Into the pot!

Thanks!