GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wal mart cutting back on seeds. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/183504-wal-mart-cutting-back-seeds.html)

Mike 11-05-2009 05:33 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

I ran out of “little brandywine hybrid” tomato seeds from a packet that I
bought last year.
It only had 60mg of seeds and found that Wal mart no longer stocks them.
In fact they have seriously cut back on all their variety of vegetable and
ornamental seeds.

This seems odd since according to the scum media vegetable gardening is
suppose to be getting more popular. Luckily I found regular brandywine seeds
at home depot.

Nanzi 12-05-2009 03:56 PM

On May 11, 12:33*pm, "Mike" wrote:
I ran out of *“little brandywine hybrid” tomato seeds from a packet that I
bought last year.
It only had 60mg of seeds and found that Wal mart no longer stocks them.
In fact they have seriously cut back on all their variety of vegetable and
ornamental seeds.

This seems odd since according to the scum media vegetable gardening is
suppose to be getting more popular. Luckily I found regular brandywine seeds
at home depot.

I have had seeds from ChinaMart that did not grow at all, and an
Amarylis bulb that never got anything but leaves. I was there
returning an item and the man ahead of me was there with empty seed
packets looking for his $$ back. The cashiers were laughing about him
and I told them I would never buy seeds there again, and why.
It is very frustrating to take the time and trouble to plant seeds and
find out the hard way they were not viable.
I've said all that to say, Maybe it's because the seeds were lousy to
begin with. And I'll say I have had good luck with other already
growing items from there. But no more seeds ever.
Nan in DE

Thos 12-05-2009 10:20 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

You might give some thought to joining the group I did. Your membership
enables you to have availability of thousands (yes, thousands) of heirloom
seeds. Not hybrids I'm not affiliated except by membership.
check them out here;

www.seedsavers.org

I would rather do business there than Wal-Mart any day, but that's just me.

Thos

Suzanne D.[_2_] 13-05-2009 12:33 AM

"nanzi" wrote in message news:d947f63e-89ce-4a09-83ff-
I have had seeds from ChinaMart that did not grow at all, and an
Amarylis bulb that never got anything but leaves. I was there
returning an item and the man ahead of me was there with empty seed
packets looking for his $$ back. The cashiers were laughing about him
and I told them I would never buy seeds there again, and why.
It is very frustrating to take the time and trouble to plant seeds and
find out the hard way they were not viable.
_______________

I had some seeds this year that didn't germinate at all. After reading this
post, I went back to examine which ones didn't grow. They were ALL from
Wal-Mart.

I have this theory that Wal-Mart sells the rejects from companies. Seems
like you can buy a brand-name item at a different store and it will work
fine, but if you buy the exact same item at Wal-Mart, it doesn't work.
There have been times I have bought small, inexpensive things such as
clocks, thermometers, and lamps, only to bring them home and discover they
don't work AT ALL. The only thing I can suspect is that the manufacturers
have batches of things that are damaged or defective in some way, and they
sell them to WM.

So with this theory in mind, it doesn't surprise me that the seeds that WM
acquired were ones that didn't work.
--S.

Nanzi 13-05-2009 05:09 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

On May 13, 12:33*pm, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

I have this theory that Wal-Mart sells the rejects from companies. *Seems
like you can buy a brand-name item at a different store and it will work
fine, but if you buy the exact same item at Wal-Mart, it doesn't work.
There have been times I have bought small, inexpensive things such as
clocks, thermometers, and lamps, only to bring them home and discover they
don't work AT ALL. *The only thing I can suspect is that the manufacturers
have batches of things that are damaged or defective in some way, and they
sell them to WM.

If the manufacturers want to sell through Walmart, they have to meet the
price Walmart will pay them. Walmart is big enough to call the tune and
demand that the piper play without proper pay.That means cutting corners
and reducing quality.

*IMO a brand name product sold through Walmart should be sold with a
"Walmart grade" label on it to indicate that it is a lowered quality
item.

What are the dates on the seed packets?

I always check seed dates, so I know the ChinaMart seeds were current
and fresh to me(not last years or any other weird thing).
Nan

Mike 13-05-2009 06:20 PM

"nanzi" wrote in message
On May 13, 12:33 pm, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

IMO a brand name product sold through Walmart should be sold with a
"Walmart grade" label on it to indicate that it is a lowered quality
item.

What are the dates on the seed packets?

I always check seed dates, so I know the ChinaMart seeds were current
and fresh to me(not last years or any other weird thing).
Nan

I had fair luck growing with wal mart Burpee brand seeds, it's just this
year, here in so-cal they reduced
the number of different types in the display panel. There is no more 10 cent
seed packets.

Luckily I was able to determine from last years seed supply which peas grow
well here.
Maestro for shelled and Oregon giant for the sweet variety.

Suzanne D.[_2_] 14-05-2009 04:48 AM

"nanzi" wrote in message
On May 13, 12:33 pm, phorbin wrote:

What are the dates on the seed packets?

I always check seed dates, so I know the ChinaMart seeds were current
and fresh to me(not last years or any other weird thing).
__________________

Yeah, mine were all current too.
--S.

The Ranger[_2_] 14-05-2009 02:50 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

Charlie ranted nicely in message
[snip]
Walmart doesn't give a crap about your garden or the
quality of the crap you buy. They care about profit.

You trust them or those that kowtow to their methods?

What a stoopit effing thread. You buy from walmart, you
deserve what you get, for supporting the bastids.

Why don't you people support reputable seedsmen who
supply a quality product with a concern for customers
and the planet.

"But that's all that's available to me" is usually the follow-up whine.

If the OP buys junk, especially CHEAP junk, you shouldn't expect much beyond
CHEAP or JUNK.

Using Da Net, that ****-poor excuse of not supportting reputable businesses
is silly and stupid.

Obsimilarrant: Walmart's Nine in Mordor won't ever see a dime from me or my
clan.

The Ranger

Suzanne D.[_2_] 14-05-2009 07:00 PM

"The Ranger" wrote in message .

"But that's all that's available to me" is usually the follow-up whine.
If the OP buys junk, especially CHEAP junk, you shouldn't expect much
beyond CHEAP or JUNK.

I am learning this too. My habit has been to get the unusual heirloom seeds
from organic earth-friendly companies online, and the "basics" from local
department stores. Now it is getting to the point where I think I may as
well shell out a couple extra bucks to get the basics of peas, corn,
carrots, herbs, etc. from the same companies from which I buy the more
exotic seeds. It costs me more, but I am helping the right people with my
money, and might have better results in the long run too.
--S.

Lilah Morgan[_2_] 14-05-2009 07:12 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

I also bought a couple seed packets at Home Depot this year because they
were on sale for half off. I found out this year that the best places to buy
seeds here(for the variety they offer, aka lots of heirlooms) are the 2
local feed/garden stores. Though now that we're getting very close to
summer, I'm buying plants now, bought 2 strawberries which were berry-laden
already($1 each), 5 tomatoes(65cents each), 6 pack of Red Sails
lettuce($2.29), 1 Hungarian Hot Wax pepper and 1 bell pepper($1.50each), and
6 broccolis($3). Was also happy to see that 15 of the Walla Wallas I planted
last year(I got a bunch of 50 for $2.50 at local nursery) are very happy
right now. :-) The bargains are there, just gotta find them. Oh also got a
6pack of celery for...don't remember, but I know for sure it was under $5.
Might have been $2.49. *can't wait for the weather to be decent so I can get
these plants outside instead of in my bedroom*

The Ranger[_2_] 14-05-2009 08:47 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

Suzanne D. wrote in message
"The Ranger" when I ranted through message:
If the OP buys junk, especially CHEAP junk, you shouldn't
expect much beyond CHEAP or JUNK.

I am learning this too. My habit has been to get the unusual heirloom
seeds from organic earth-friendly companies online, and the "basics"
from local department stores. Now it is getting to the point where I
think I may as well shell out a couple extra bucks to get the basics of
peas, corn, carrots, herbs, etc. from the same companies from which
I buy the more exotic seeds. It costs me more, but I am helping the
right people with my money, and might have better results in the
long run too.

I proved to one of my BILs (a founding member of "I got it cheap; so what if
I have to buy ten of 'em") the silliness of buying from Walmart. So my one
costs slightly more than his two or three of the same thing; mine don't fall
apart or break within the first week of use, I'm not wasting time and money
running back to "exchange" it for more useless crap, and I don't have to
fight the mass of humanity that invades that acid-induced,
Rorschach-inspired parking lot every weekend.

Right now, my two Brandywine plants are putting out HUGE branches and
leaves, my jalapenos are a vibrant green, and my Japanese eggplants are
overtaking the trellis (courtesy of Yamagami's Nursery). I'm happy.

The Ranger

Mike 15-05-2009 06:36 PM

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
[...]

I think wal mart seeds were an ok starting point for the beginning gardener.
But that was when they had 2 revolving carousels and 2 wall panels of seeds.
Now all they have is only one panel of seeds tucked away in a back aisle.

The Cook 15-05-2009 07:46 PM

On Fri, 15 May 2009 17:36:23 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't send a beginning gardener to Wal Mart. The other stores
and garden centers will have the basics. The beginning gardener
should have the best quality seeds available. Otherwise they will
become very discouraged with lack of germination and not continue.
They won't know that it is not their fault.
--
Susan N.

Mike 17-05-2009 06:05 PM

Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

I think wal mart seeds were an ok starting point for the beginning

gardener.
But that was when they had 2 revolving carousels and 2 wall panels of

seeds.
Now all they have is only one panel of seeds tucked away in a back aisle.

I wouldn't send a beginning gardener to Wal Mart. The other stores
and garden centers will have the basics. The beginning gardener
should have the best quality seeds available. Otherwise they will
become very discouraged with lack of germination and not continue.
They won't know that it is not their fault.
--
Susan N.

Yea you're definitely right on that.
I paid a visit to walmart yesterday to buy some "4th of July Hybrid" tomato
seeds and noticed the 2009 seed packet has changed from my empty 2007 pack.

What's new is that half of the labeling on the flip side is printed in
mexican, plus down below the origin of the seed lot says China!

It's easy to see how walmart has destroyed another facet of America's
cultural identity.