Old 22-05-2009, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Baja Motorsports 500 Watt Electric Moped, Model# BE500 FREE SHIPPING

Price:$799.99
Image: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ima...?id=B001G9QWNS
Best deal: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B001G9QWNS

Like other reviewers I was encouraged when Costco (and Amazon!) began selling this Baja Motorsports model. I thought each of their standards of quality would have tested this electric bicycle more thoroughly. However this "cool looking" scooter is not for a normal-sized male adult (by that I mean 180 lbs, 6 ft.). It cannot handle even slight grades (not even hills) without slowing below 5MPH or stopping. And when it does stall, I do not really want to optionally pedal a 191 lb. scooter, plus me, up a hill. I'd rather have a regular bicycle with 10-20 efficient gears for that. And thats another area - the Baja Motorsports website says there is a transmission, implying (electronic) gearing of some sort. The Operators Manual schematic does not show any form of electronic gearing (more current for lower speeds?). It appears to be a direct throttle to "controller" to electric motor. It is strictly for flat surfaces, or very slight grades with much lighter loads. Twice I made sure the battery was fully charged (up to 12 hours of charging), but there was no difference in performance. Sigh! This is definitely for less than full size adults, which is fine, if that is their market. The other question is, as with hybrid cars, what will be the lifetime of the batteries and cost of replacements once they do not hold a charge?
I saw this electric bike initially here but was afraid to purchase it not knowing what to expect. Then I saw it at Costco for about the same price and bought it because I know the return policy at Costco is excellent. I did research online at Northern Tool & Equipment and at the Baja Motorsport website and read their manual. Its essentially all ready to go out of the box except I needed to attach the pedals,fender, guards and mirrors as well as the back carry case. I inspected and ensured all bolts were tight and secure. It took me about an hour to complete inspection but the very first think I did was start charging the battery before I even started any assembly. The manual says to make sure the battery main switch is "off". But what I read prior to the purchase at other owner comments is that the manual is wrong and that the battery switch should be "on". Sure enough, they were right, the battery switch should be on the "on" position otherwise it will not charge. I charged the bike overnight about 12 hrs and the following morning there was a full charge. The bike itself is almost 200 lbs puts out about 2hp and I weigh 150 lbs. When I first rode the bike it will travel a max speed of about 15 mph with the governor connected. When disconnected (you are not suppose to disconnect it)it will go about 25 mph. I use it mainly to go to work about 4 miles each way. The manual says it will go about 30 miles between charges and it is about right. I get about 25 miles per charge since I've never pushed it to the max where it is totally out of power. It does the job for me and works well. The only drawback is climbing hills. It will slow down to about 10-12mph climbing a small 1/4 mile hill at about a 5-8% grade. I've had smaller passenger (100-130lbs) ride with me on a flat road and carries the two of us sufficiently as long as you are not climbing any steep grades. I've had it for a month and so far so good. I don't know how long these batteries will last but if it lasts me 1 yr, its worth it. It is really for a short range commuter who doesn't want to exert energy or sweat biking. Easy to charge, low maintenance. Overall a good buy.
Get around town at up to 20 MPH with this handy electric moped and roam up to 30 miles between charges. 6-8 hour charge time.