Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Default Yellow leaves on plum tree

Hi all.

I have a 4 year old vic plum planted last year. some of the older leaves are turning yellow. Would I be right in thinking this is due to lack of nitrogen? The tree is planted with grass right up to the trunk, so I thought I would use a liquid nitrogen feed.

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Halo wrote:
Hi all.

I have a 4 year old vic plum planted last year. some of the older
leaves are turning yellow. Would I be right in thinking this is due to
lack of nitrogen? The tree is planted with grass right up to the trunk,
so I thought I would use a liquid nitrogen feed.

Thanks

Peter

Possibly a nitrogen deficiency. A little Miracle Grow around the tree
wouldn't hurt. It is generally not a good idea to have grass, or
anything else growing within the drip line of the tree. It takes
energy away from the tree.

Yellow leaves could be indicative of a more serious problem. If the
leaves turn this color in the fall, this could be a sign that the tree
is going dormant or dying. Check the base for entry holes of borers.

You did not give your location and type of soil, which could give
more clues to the problem. Did you get a lot of rain this year,
and does your soil drain well?

Sherwin
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Halo wrote:
[...]

Hmmm ...

Not having any plum trees, so I am not expert.
I lean toward iron deficiency.

The yellowing of leaves is called Chlorosis in normal green plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis

As for using "liquid nitrogen" requires careful use!
In a science class "liquid nitrogen" was used to dip a rose in it and
then smashed on the table. The rose shattered like glass
Very Cool Huh

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article -
september.org, says...

Hmmm ...

Not having any plum trees, so I am not expert.
I lean toward iron deficiency.

The yellowing of leaves is called Chlorosis in normal green plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis

This year has produced chlorosis in a number of sun-loving plants and
those that don't like wet feet.

It has been overcast wet and cool (for here) all spring.

So far "summer" has been a little better. At least we're getting some
sun, a bit less rain, some higher daytime temperatures and the long days
are helping a little.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article -
september.org, says...

Hmmm ...

Not having any plum trees, so I am not expert.
I lean toward iron deficiency.

The yellowing of leaves is called Chlorosis in normal green plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis

To add to phorbin's post
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.html will give you a bit of
help in determining the cause.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

gunner wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article -
september.org, says...

Hmmm ...

Not having any plum trees, so I am not expert.
I lean toward iron deficiency.

The yellowing of leaves is called Chlorosis in normal green plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis

To add to phorbin's post
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.html will give you a bit of
help in determining the cause.

The article you referenced says that iron chlorosis usually shows up
on the younger leaves first, then the older leaves. This might
indicate their other suggestion of manganese or zinc deficiences.

I would still not rule out other possiblities, like over watered roots
or the tree going prematurely into dormancy because of some disease
or insect damage. The original poster has left out many details, like
is this yellowing on all branches, or just certain ones, etc.

Sherwin
Old 28-06-2014, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

replying to sherwin dubren, BG in Minnesota wrote:
sherwindu wrote:

Possibly a nitrogen deficiency. A little Miracle Grow around the tree
wouldn't hurt. It is generally not a good idea to have grass, or
anything else growing within the drip line of the tree. It takes
energy away from the tree.
Yellow leaves could be indicative of a more serious problem. If the
leaves turn this color in the fall, this could be a sign that the tree
is going dormant or dying. Check the base for entry holes of borers.
You did not give your location and type of soil, which could give
more clues to the problem. Did you get a lot of rain this year,
and does your soil drain well?
Sherwin

Minnesota in July - yes to a lot of rain - it is on the side of a hill so
it has good drainage-
nutrients could have washed away - perhaps miracle grow idea would be best/

Old 21-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Hi all.

I have a 4 year old vic plum planted last year. some of the older leaves are turning yellow. Would I be right in thinking this is due to lack of nitrogen? The tree is planted with grass right up to the trunk, so I thought I would use a liquid nitrogen feed.

Thanks

Peter
Hi Peter, I think you're right, I checked a few different sources and it does sound like nitrogen deficiency rather than lack of iron or magnesium (due to it being on older leaves not younger leaves) I've been using a fertilizer called 6x which is basically heat treated dried manure, You buy it in a big square tub with an orange lid. It's hard to go wrong with this stuff. It's easy to overdo it with some fertilizers
Old 21-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcaterpillar View Post
Hi Peter, I think you're right, I checked a few different sources and it does sound like nitrogen deficiency rather than lack of iron or magnesium (due to it being on older leaves not younger leaves) I've been using a fertilizer called 6x which is basically heat treated dried manure, You buy it in a big square tub with an orange lid. It's hard to go wrong with this stuff. It's easy to overdo it with some fertilizers

Hi i'm new on here (first post)

i have a similar problem with my plum tree,
not sure of it's age as it was in the garden when i moved in, only small though

after a couple of years of cutting it back, i'm now letting it grow.

any way i recently came back from holiday to find my tree which was lovely and green when i left, all the leaves turned yellow and drooping, the new growth is still green though, i think it may be a fungus as the bark is coming away and i can see fungus on the outside, also a few insects scuttling around.

i like the peter am in the midlands

the tree has been fed this year
obvioulsy was no fruit as all new growth
Old 22-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:

The yellowing of the leaves is not on this years new
growth at all & mainly on the older leaves. I've also noticed this
morning that a few plums have dropped also
Pictures always help. However the usual reasons for yellowing of OLDER leaves are not to do with the tree's diet. Younger leaves show up deficiencies way sooner than old ones do.

So if older leaves are going yellow it is more likely to be a fruit tree disease than poor feeding. My first thoughts are apple scap or a blight of some sort.

Both are fungal and there are no fungicides that you could use this late and still eat the fruit. So if you spray, you don't eat. If you do not spray, clean up the leaves and other rubbish under the tree in the autumn and burn it or dump it. Do not put it on your compost heap. That way you reduce the chances of the disease overwintering.

Good luck
John
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk

Old 23-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered User

Hi I'm back, didn't realise other people had responded since I last looked. The issue seemed to go away with feeding, however around a week ago the tree started to show blotchy yellow & green leaves. Shown a look at the below link.

P.s when did Picasa stop doing hot links!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/petern...70669558187618