Old 17-06-2004, 08:08 AM
paul

Default What's eating my Plum tree leaves in the Northwest

I have a plum tree, actually an italian prune tree. I have noticed
that the leafs are starting to curl up. Some of them have little
holes in them. Does anyone know what might be doing this? I could
send a picture if it would help.

Thanks
Paul
Old 17-06-2004, 08:09 AM
culprit

"paul" wrote in message
om...
I have a plum tree, actually an italian prune tree. I have noticed
that the leafs are starting to curl up. Some of them have little
holes in them. Does anyone know what might be doing this? I could
send a picture if it would help.

have you seen any caterpillars around? i know they've been feasting on my
newport plum this year. the ones i've seen are yellow with black stripes
and black feet.

-kelly
snohomish, wa

Old 17-06-2004, 08:13 AM
sherwindu

Hi Paul,
Luckily my italian plum tree seems to be doing well this year. The
problem with your leaves curling could be a fungus. It is probably too
late to treat immediately, but either this Fall (right after leaf fall)
or in
Spring (just before buds open) spray using a lime-sulfer chemical or
a fungicide with chlorothalonil. The holes could be an insect problem.
You did not mention if you did any spraying this season. If not, you
should start a regular spray schedule. At this point, you can use a
general 'orchard spray', which is both a fungicide and an insecticide.
You did not mention any problems with the fruit. A more serious
problem would be plum curculio, which shows up as crescent shaped
wounds on the fruit. That's a nasty one, so I hope you don't have it.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 18-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Square Foot Gardening

Paul, you can look here to try to find the problem.
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:S-
WhVBUdE58J:http://www.uog.edu/cals/PEOPLE/PUBS/.../EH13900.pdf+%
22attractive+cover,+but+spiny+fruit+can+penetrate+ soft-soled+footwear%22&hl=en
Leaf curling does usually mean fungus, but if it is on a small scale, have you
checked for slugs and snails? I know they can cause leaf curl on low lying
shurbs etc., but I don't know if they would climb the tree. Seems to me it
would scare the little buggers. Here is another site to check
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/ext...ndx.shtml#plum
From: (paul)
Date: 6/16/2004 8:49 PM Pacific Standard Time
I have a plum tree, actually an italian prune tree. I have noticed
that the leafs are starting to curl up. Some of them have little
holes in them. Does anyone know what might be doing this? I could
send a picture if it would help.

Thanks
Paul

GC
Certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor
http://www.squarefootslo.com
Learn to be a freelance web designer http://www.howtofreelance.com
Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Hoss Spence

I'm also in the West and have the same problem. Both with a Italian
plum that I've had for 4 years and one I planted this year. The four
your old has never born fruit. I took some leaves to our agri. ext.
service and they said it was a lack of Iron. I bought some concentrate
and fertilized but that has not fixed the problem. I will post a
solution if I come up with one.