Old 25-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Default Everything in my plastic greenhouse is dying!

I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was going well until last week when some of the leaves on my tomoato plants have started to go get black spots on them. The spot spreads and then the leaves die off. This is now affecting some of the side shoots and is working it's way up the plant. It seems to have spread and my cucmber leaves are starting to die off. I regularly feed the plants as the tomatoes now have small fruit on them. I water them once per day in the evening but it is very humid in there at the moment. The plants are in grow bags and I live in the North East of Scotland. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it! Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I will be a bit gutted if I lose everything!
Old 25-07-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
TomatoBecky wrote:

I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three
types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was
going well until last week when some of the leaves on my tomoato plants
have started to go get black spots on them. The spot spreads and then
the leaves die off. This is now affecting some of the side shoots and
is working it's way up the plant. It seems to have spread and my
cucmber leaves are starting to die off. I regularly feed the plants as
the tomatoes now have small fruit on them. I water them once per day in
the evening but it is very humid in there at the moment. The plants are
in grow bags and I live in the North East of Scotland. I am not sure if
that has anything to do with it! Any comments would be greatly
appreciated as I will be a bit gutted if I lose everything!

Heat + humidity = mold.

You can probably wipe the mold off. You may try a dilution of
1 tsp. baking soda
hand soap (not detergent)
1 qt. water

Dissolve baking soda in the warm water, then add the rest. Wait for all
to dissolve and use.

Probably a good idea to clip off any mold that won't wipe off.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 25-07-2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
TomatoBecky wrote:

I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three
types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was
going well until last week when some of the leaves on my tomoato plants
have started to go get black spots on them. The spot spreads and then
the leaves die off. This is now affecting some of the side shoots and
is working it's way up the plant. It seems to have spread and my
cucmber leaves are starting to die off. I regularly feed the plants as
the tomatoes now have small fruit on them. I water them once per day in
the evening but it is very humid in there at the moment. The plants are
in grow bags and I live in the North East of Scotland. I am not sure if
that has anything to do with it! Any comments would be greatly
appreciated as I will be a bit gutted if I lose everything!

Heat + humidity = mold.

Open green house (top and bottom, or from end to end) to allow escape of
moisture, and don't wet the leaves or flowers while watering.

You can probably wipe the mold off. You may try a dilution of
1 tsp. baking soda
hand soap (not detergent)
1 qt. water

Dissolve baking soda in the warm water, then add the rest. Wait for all
to dissolve and use.

It would be a good idea to clip off any mold that won't wipe off.

Old 25-07-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"TomatoBecky" wrote in message

I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three
types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was
going well until last week when some of the leaves on my tomoato plants
have started to go get black spots on them. The spot spreads and then
the leaves die off. This is now affecting some of the side shoots and
is working it's way up the plant. It seems to have spread and my
cucmber leaves are starting to die off. I regularly feed the plants as
the tomatoes now have small fruit on them. I water them once per day in
the evening but it is very humid in there at the moment. The plants are
in grow bags and I live in the North East of Scotland. I am not sure if
that has anything to do with it! Any comments would be greatly
appreciated as I will be a bit gutted if I lose everything!

Without a visual it is difficult to assist you. Try to ID if it is fungal
or bacterial here.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omWiltKey.html
or he
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...emsolver/leaf/

Once you have a possible ID, these sites should have some info to help you
with a protocol to address your problem. Regardless of gardening
philosophy, I recommend you get a bit aggressive in addressing this as you
are already playing "catch-up". I'm sure you know to properly dispose of
the diseased material and do not reuse those grow bags for obvious reasons.

I also have a greenhouse in a cool humid climate, using both soil and
hydroponics, so I appreciate your challenges. I recommend you establish a
solid program of preventative maintenance early on because when you see
these problems, it is usually too late. There are many products out there,
organic and conventional to use (many separated only by a slight
definition). I use mostly sulfurs and oils, the occasional copper and
bicarbonates, if necessary, and yes, even the occasional "evil" chemical
pesticide when necessary. Do watch using these some of these mineral/oil
products with cucurbits. A form of Bordeaux mix or a bicarbonate ( may
also boost your N a bit) as a preventive measure may help just your green
house.

Please followup here so some of us may know what you found out and how you
address it.

the best to you.

Old 26-07-2009, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
CJ CJ is offline

On Jul 25, 4:24*pm, TomatoBecky TomatoBecky.
wrote:
[...]

Hello...im new here so i was wondering what this group is
about? ....hang in there tomatobecky...i hope it'll work out.
Thanks!

Old 26-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Registered User

Thanks very much for your replies. I really apprecaite it. I have cut off the diseased leaves and shoots but I think I am going to have to take more drastic measures!

All of the suggestions have been really helpful!
Old 26-07-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bud Bud is offline

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:29:53 -0700, Billy wrote:

TomatoBecky wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Heat + humidity = mold.

You can probably wipe the mold off. You may try a dilution of 1 tsp.
baking soda
hand soap (not detergent)
1 qt. water

Dissolve baking soda in the warm water, then add the rest. Wait for all
to dissolve and use.

Probably a good idea to clip off any mold that won't wipe off.

Try powdered sulfur. Humidity equals mold, got a fan in the greenhouse to
exchange the air?
--
Bud
Old 26-07-2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sorry to hear about this! I had the exact same thing happen to me last
year with a new pop up plastic greenhouse. I put one of the spotted
leaves in a ziplock bag and took it to a local nursery. The person
there said it was a virus and to strip all the diseased leaves off. Let
me tell you, by this time I had some pretty scraggly plants. In the end
I put the plants outside and took down the greenhouse. The plants never
really caught up growth or production wise.

This year I skipped the house and my plants are much happier even with
our cool foggy weather here.

Hope you fare better!

marcella

Old 24-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered User

I accept a artificial greenhouse absolute cucumbers, courgettes and three types of tomoatoes; plum, aureate and russian black. Everything was going able-bodied until endure anniversary if some of the leaves on my tomoato plants have started to go get atramentous spots on them. The atom spreads and then the leaves die off.
NFT Hydroponics