GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   winter crops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/186893-winter-crops.html)

SteveB[_10_] 28-08-2009 04:27 AM

winter crops

I live in XXtreme SW Utah at about 3700' elevation. I'm right in those
tight bands of zone numbers. The temperatures vary from year to year.

Tomorrow, I'm going out to till up the mess that is currently the garden,
and make ready for winter. I'm going to put about 20 bags of "stuff" into
the garden. I do have a 4' tall north wall to break the wind. I am going
to run a shunt off my house water so I can water in the winter, as the ag
water is turned off when it freezes. What can be grown in the winter?

Steve

Suzanne D.[_2_] 28-08-2009 07:49 AM

winter crops

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in XXtreme SW Utah at about 3700' elevation. I'm right in those
tight bands of zone numbers. The temperatures vary from year to year.

Tomorrow, I'm going out to till up the mess that is currently the garden,
and make ready for winter. I'm going to put about 20 bags of "stuff" into
the garden. I do have a 4' tall north wall to break the wind. I am going
to run a shunt off my house water so I can water in the winter, as the ag
water is turned off when it freezes. What can be grown in the winter?

I'm in your area, and planting cabbage, carrots, lettuce, onions, peas,
garlic, and various cover crops. I think you can plant potatoes,
too--they'll get a nice jump start in the spring.
--S.

Zootal[_4_] 28-08-2009 07:50 PM

winter crops

At your elevation, isn't a bit late for planting winter crops? When is your
first frost, and how much snow do you get up there?

Bud 28-08-2009 08:31 PM

winter crops

Try hear http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html
or http://www.usna.usda.gov/SiteMap_USNA.html
--
signature goes here

SteveB[_10_] 28-08-2009 09:02 PM

winter crops

"Zootal" wrote in message
At your elevation, isn't a bit late for planting winter crops? When is
your first frost, and how much snow do you get up there?

Our weather varies here. Mid September is first frost. Snow varies from
none to last winter when we had 14". Usually, just a couple of dustings.
Gets down to the high teens or low twenties. Not bad winters.

Steve