Old 28-08-2009, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default winter crops

I live in XXtreme SW Utah at about 3700' elevation. I'm right in those
tight bands of zone numbers. The temperatures vary from year to year.

Tomorrow, I'm going out to till up the mess that is currently the garden,
and make ready for winter. I'm going to put about 20 bags of "stuff" into
the garden. I do have a 4' tall north wall to break the wind. I am going
to run a shunt off my house water so I can water in the winter, as the ag
water is turned off when it freezes. What can be grown in the winter?

Steve

Old 28-08-2009, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in XXtreme SW Utah at about 3700' elevation. I'm right in those
tight bands of zone numbers. The temperatures vary from year to year.

Tomorrow, I'm going out to till up the mess that is currently the garden,
and make ready for winter. I'm going to put about 20 bags of "stuff" into
the garden. I do have a 4' tall north wall to break the wind. I am going
to run a shunt off my house water so I can water in the winter, as the ag
water is turned off when it freezes. What can be grown in the winter?

I'm in your area, and planting cabbage, carrots, lettuce, onions, peas,
garlic, and various cover crops. I think you can plant potatoes,
too--they'll get a nice jump start in the spring.
--S.

Old 28-08-2009, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bud Bud is offline

Try hear http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html
or http://www.usna.usda.gov/SiteMap_USNA.html
--
signature goes here
Old 28-08-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Zootal" wrote in message
At your elevation, isn't a bit late for planting winter crops? When is
your first frost, and how much snow do you get up there?

Our weather varies here. Mid September is first frost. Snow varies from
none to last winter when we had 14". Usually, just a couple of dustings.
Gets down to the high teens or low twenties. Not bad winters.

Steve

over winter crops? T[_4_] Edible Gardening 42 03-09-2016 03:33 PM
winter crops SteveB[_10_] Gardening 6 29-08-2009 01:18 AM
Can I plant carrots and stuff for winter crops now? Matthew Reed Gardening 5 01-10-2006 08:37 AM
Sign petition to USDA to protect crops from being fertilized by pollen from GMO pharm. crops CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 4 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
Insects thrive on GM 'pest-killing' crops [email protected] sci.agriculture 13 08-04-2003 08:20 AM