GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wild grape question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/187156-wild-grape-question.html)

Steve Peek 16-09-2009 10:19 PM

Wild grape question

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down."
--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Try grapevine for smoking fish. Rainbow trout smoked over a combo of
grapevine and apple wood is food fit for the gods.
Steve

Omelet[_4_] 17-09-2009 12:10 AM

Wild grape question

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

Try grapevine for smoking fish. Rainbow trout smoked over a combo of
grapevine and apple wood is food fit for the gods.
Steve

Okay, thank you. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

[email protected] 17-09-2009 04:39 AM

Wild grape question

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:04:39 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

I'm not very good at taste descriptions so, I'll just say that various
pork cuts and a couple of Muskovy ducks smoked using a mix of wild
grapevines and mulberry were excellent.
Just one warning, be very Very careful pruning out your fence rows.
Poison ivy has a nasty habit of disguising itself and mixing in with
the grapevines ;-(. Don't ask how I know, just say that a 10 day
prednisone regimen did help.

Ross.

Billy[_8_] 17-09-2009 07:16 AM

Wild grape question

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

The French wine growers have grills on 3" to 4" legs, that they will put
over a fire of grape canes burning/smoldering on the ground and and cook
thin slices of meat.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm

PhoenixWench 17-09-2009 10:43 PM

Wild grape question

Steve Peek wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down."
--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Try grapevine for smoking fish. Rainbow trout smoked over a combo of
grapevine and apple wood is food fit for the gods.
Steve

Good to know! Thanks ;-)
Hubby just got his boat finally put down by the reservoir and is looking
forward to some trout & bass fishing this week. He was delighted to hear
this ;-)

--
Sylvia

PhoenixWench 17-09-2009 10:46 PM

Wild grape question

wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:04:39 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

I'm not very good at taste descriptions so, I'll just say that various
pork cuts and a couple of Muskovy ducks smoked using a mix of wild
grapevines and mulberry were excellent.
Just one warning, be very Very careful pruning out your fence rows.
Poison ivy has a nasty habit of disguising itself and mixing in with
the grapevines ;-(. Don't ask how I know, just say that a 10 day
prednisone regimen did help.

Ross.

Ouch :-( You have my sympathy. As one who does not fare well when
exposed to poison ivy I am very alert when dealing with untended areas
of our property. When I spot the nasty stuff I have hubby yank it - he
took the shots as a kid and can practically roll in it with no effect. I
just have to remind him to scrub down afterwards ;-)

--
Sylvia

Omelet[_4_] 21-09-2009 06:57 PM

Wild grape question

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:04:39 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

I'm not very good at taste descriptions so, I'll just say that various
pork cuts and a couple of Muskovy ducks smoked using a mix of wild
grapevines and mulberry were excellent.
Just one warning, be very Very careful pruning out your fence rows.
Poison ivy has a nasty habit of disguising itself and mixing in with
the grapevines ;-(. Don't ask how I know, just say that a 10 day
prednisone regimen did help.

Ross.

Ow. Thanks for the warning!
To date, Poison Ivy has never made an appearance in my yard and I've
never been affected by it when wandering in the "wild".

I know I'm immune to poison oak, but I'd rather not take chances. g
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_4_] 21-09-2009 07:01 PM

Wild grape question

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

The French wine growers have grills on 3" to 4" legs, that they will put
over a fire of grape canes burning/smoldering on the ground and and cook
thin slices of meat.

Sounds good! This weeks smoke came out well. I did it over more mimosa
and a little bit of mesquite. I also made my first batch of Liverwurst
using a modified recipe from Rytek Kutas. It's the gods. :-) I'm trying
to eat more organ meats for health reasons and I like liver sausage
better than plain liver. Heart, I like as is but I brined and smoked
some a couple of weeks ago and it came out almost like lean bacon. ;-d
My Canadian Bacon experiment has been a complete success...

This is fun!

Ob gardening: The only crops I'm growing this year (other than herbs)
are Sunflower Sprouts on my kitchen windowsill. Water is just too
expensive, especially during this very bad and long drought.

The beauty of sprouts is that they are ready to harvest in 5 to 7 days.
Very satisfying as an edible crop that way. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: