Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Squash Puzzlement

So, I grew a couple hills of Kabocha squash from seeds from a Seed Saver's
Exchange member. Did reasonably well in a known cruddy part of the garden
and a dodgy year. I stored a half-dozen squashes on my plant table, now
not full, since it isn't spring, and the first one I cut open to gut and
roast had a lot of nice big seeds in, which I cleaned and dried.
Just now, I sliced open the biggest of the batch, perhaps 10 inches in
diameter. Nice thick flesh, but only a little pulp in the middle with NO
SEEDS! A few little vestigial seeds, but nothing like the earlier one.
I thought cucurbits wouldn't develop if pollinated. Have I got a "Capon"
squash?
Color me perplexed; not the first time, and surely not the last.

Old 21-12-2009, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 12, 2:36 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
So, I grew a couple hills of Kabocha squash from seeds from a Seed Saver's
Exchange member. Did reasonably well in a known cruddy part of the garden
and a dodgy year. I stored a half-dozen squashes on my plant table, now
not full, since it isn't spring, and the first one I cut open to gut and
roast had a lot of nice big seeds in, which I cleaned and dried.
Just now, I sliced open the biggest of the batch, perhaps 10 inches in
diameter. Nice thick flesh, but only a little pulp in the middle with NO
SEEDS! A few little vestigial seeds, but nothing like the earlier one.
I thought cucurbits wouldn't develop if pollinated. Have I got a "Capon"
squash?
Color me perplexed; not the first time, and surely not the last.

Andy comments:

Perhaps the bees were wearing condoms ????? ::)))))))
Old 21-12-2009, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

On Dec 12, 2:36 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
So, I grew a couple hills of Kabocha squash from seeds from a Seed Saver's
Exchange member. Did reasonably well in a known cruddy part of the garden
and a dodgy year. I stored a half-dozen squashes on my plant table, now
not full, since it isn't spring, and the first one I cut open to gut and
roast had a lot of nice big seeds in, which I cleaned and dried.
Just now, I sliced open the biggest of the batch, perhaps 10 inches in
diameter. Nice thick flesh, but only a little pulp in the middle with NO
SEEDS! A few little vestigial seeds, but nothing like the earlier one.
I thought cucurbits wouldn't develop if pollinated. Have I got a "Capon"
squash?
Color me perplexed; not the first time, and surely not the last.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Andy comments:

Perhaps the bees were wearing condoms ????? ::)))))))

You seem to have misconscrewed the role of the bees in the pollination
of plants ;O)
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 21-12-2009, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wildbilly wrote:

You seem to have misconscrewed

I believe in Boston, that's misconscrod.

Actually, despite all the problems I have a good bee population around the
garden and environs.