GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No work gardens. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/190205-no-work-gardens.html)

General Schvantzkoph 19-03-2010 09:36 PM

No work gardens.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:37 -0400, None4U wrote:

The book , by Ruth Stout states that by putting 8 inches of hay, or
leaves, or mulch on your garden. You dont have to do anything to it. My
problem is weeds. And I was almost going to cover my garden with black
covering this year and sterilize and let it kill all the weeds . Ive
got those marigold vines that overun everything. Do you think cover
would keep the weeds down and allow me to grow this year . Or should I
cover it this year to kill the weeds. Chemicals have already been
done. They just come back.

I was looking at the Agway site and they have something called Mainely
Mulch which is sterilized straw and hay. It's dried at very high
temperatures which they claim kills most of the weed seeds. It looks
interesting, has anyone tried it?

Billy[_10_] 19-03-2010 10:20 PM

No work gardens.

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:37 -0400, None4U wrote:

The book , by Ruth Stout states that by putting 8 inches of hay, or
leaves, or mulch on your garden. You dont have to do anything to it. My
problem is weeds. And I was almost going to cover my garden with black
covering this year and sterilize and let it kill all the weeds . Ive
got those marigold vines that overun everything. Do you think cover
would keep the weeds down and allow me to grow this year . Or should I
cover it this year to kill the weeds. Chemicals have already been
done. They just come back.

I was looking at the Agway site and they have something called Mainely
Mulch which is sterilized straw and hay. It's dried at very high
temperatures which they claim kills most of the weed seeds. It looks
interesting, has anyone tried it?

Then there is alfalfa (lucerne). Sells here for about $15/bale. It is a
combination fertilizer and mulch. Just ask me or Charlie. We both fried
some plants with alfalfa pellets last year, but I've never had a problem
with plant burn or weeds from the bales.

Billy[_10_] 20-03-2010 01:37 AM

No work gardens.

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:20:04 -0700, Billy
wrote:

[...]

It was especially hard on my peppers. Overdosed for sure and a major
setback. I was using alfalfa meal and pellets. I've since switched
to alfalfa chops, which is very rough cut, chopped as it says, and
mixed with molasses, which I am *assuming*, without much evidence
other than my gut and accumulated ideas and information over the
years, is beneficial to soil microbes and compost piles and soil
amending, as I add molasses to my compost tea.

Charlie, smelling an oven full of potting mix (sterilizing) and
watching a friggin' snowstorm........grrrr

First Bill and the East Coast get run over (several times), and now
you're getting snow. I didn't think that bad boy was due until tomorrow.
Looks like after that, you'll be coming back to the Land of the Thawed
with sunshine and warmer weather.

Last year, I didn't start my germinations until early April. My plants
were still small when I set them out in mid May. This year with a 4' T5
cranking out 19,000 lumens my tomatoes, which I started at the beginning
of Feb. are a foot tall (30 cm) and I'm having to pick flowers off the
damn things. I have 6500 bulbs in them which is supposed to be good for
foliage. The 3500 are said to be good for flowering. At this rate, my
tomatoes will be 5' tall by the time I plant them and the melons
trailing out the door. So, I'm cutting the umbilical cord and I'm going
to let them go outside and play. That should slow them down.

Oh yeah, the lights that I payed $150 for 2 months ago, are now $100
grrr.
http://www.electricalmarketplace.com...cy-Fluorescent
-High-Bay-Lamps-Included-P1307.aspx

Anyway, I'm still working on my timing to start germination. As for now,
I have most of my garden in my study. Waiting for the ground and air to
warm up.

I might even be able to put the tomatoes outside now, but I'm too
prudent to risk it. I tossed out the seedlings that I couldn't use (no
space) but then felt bad about it the next day, and planted 4 of the
cells (containing a half a dozen tomatoes each) in a not ideal part of
my yard. They seen to be hanging on, which makes me wonder what else
might grow there.

Got to wrap up my potting and get on to the happy hour. We are cleaning
out the refrigerator tonight.

Spater,