Old 26-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Registered User

Smile

Steve B[_6_];885026']"phorbin" wrote in message
In article
, says...

I have used creosote on and off all of my life, and have reached 69
willout any ill effect.
so either I have been very lucky or it is not as bad as we are led to
believe.

My bet is on "lucky."

...That you may be lucky in no way makes the product safe, or safe for
home use.

And having done further research I now know that chronic exposure can
induce nephrotoxicity, renal toxicity and neurotoxicity...

Journal of Medical Case Reports | Full text | Coal tar creosote abuse by vapour inhalation presenting with renal impairment and neurotoxicity: a case report

Which is an inhalant abuse case, and at least cautionary.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factshee...prelim_risk_as
sess.htm

With special attention paid to:

"6. Are railroad ties safe for me to use for landscaping around my home?

There are no approved uses of creosote to treat wood for residential
use. The Agency is aware that creosote-treated railroad ties are being
used in the residential setting for landscape purposes and, in some
instances, as a border around gardens. Such uses in residential settings
are not intended uses of creosote and have not been considered in the
preliminary risk assessment. If you do have creosote-treated wood in
your yard, you are reminded to consult the handling precautions outlined
above in this document."

ATSDR - ToxFAQs?: Creosote

With special attention to the pargraph:

"If you are exposed to wood creosote, coal tar creosote, coal tar, coal
tar pitch, or coal tar pitch volatiles, many factors determine whether
you'll be harmed. These factors include the dose (how much), the
duration (how long), and how you come in contact with them. You must
also consider the other chemicals you're exposed to and your age, sex,
diet, family traits, lifestyle, and state of health."

I don't want to eat the stuff, or make a house out of it, or use it to sleep
on.

Steve

just a thought--white foam board (available at craft stores) or anything that u can add in like a white painted wall might help to reflect the light for your strawberries.
good luck. cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 26-04-2010, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Strawberry questions

"sockiescat" wrote in message

Steve B[_6_];885026']"phorbin" wrote in message
...-
In article
, says...

-
I have used creosote on and off all of my life, and have reached 69
willout any ill effect.
so either I have been very lucky or it is not as bad as we are led to
believe.-

My bet is on "lucky."

..That you may be lucky in no way makes the product safe, or safe for
home use.

And having done further research I now know that chronic exposure can
induce nephrotoxicity, renal toxicity and neurotoxicity...

'Journal of Medical Case Reports | Full text | Coal tar creosote abuse
by vapour inhalation presenting with renal impairment and neurotoxicity:
a case report' (
http://tinyurl.com/2ut4ayk)

Which is an inhalant abuse case, and at least cautionary.

http://tinyurl.com/3xxszey

'ATSDR - ToxFAQs?: Creosote' (http://tinyurl.com/385lns8)

--
sockiescat

Where we are, the wind is brutal at times, and at my age, I always forget
and leave wind vulnerable things out. Next thing you know, the wind whips
up in ten minutes, and there's a disaster. I just lost a new EZ Up sun
shade. Mangled.

I buy 6' x 7' panels that are cutouts of the metal ocean going shipping
containers, which I am going to make the north fence of my garden out of.
This should give me a decent windbreak, and allow for the sun to still shine
in. I may use some smaller pieces around raised boxes, but they are a lot
of work to cut, and then to build a substantial base ........... But I was
wanting to make some raised beds out of cinderblock stacked up and cemented
solid floor, then a couple of courses to give 8-16" soil depth.

I have an ad on craigslist and freecycle right now for some. Some one will
call in with a crumbload of it soon.

Man, these little bitty plants take a LOT of work!

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon