Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Pat is offline

Default Too cold for beans? and a carrot question...

I planted three kinds of beans early last week. The weather had been quite
warm, the soil was warm, and the beans were soaked overnight before
planting.

A few days later a cold snap started. Temps down into the high 40s
overnight, low 60s daytime. Today it's in the mid-50s and raining. I don't
see any beans coming up yet, except maybe a couple of the limas. It's
supposed to warm up again tomorrow but remain wet the rest of the week.

Am I worrying needlessly that the beans will rot?

Also, today I couldn't resist pulling a few of the carrots I planted last
fall. (The patch has gotten too thick anyhow.) The tops of the carrots are
around 2' tall and very green (the tallest one appeared to be getting ready
to go to seed), but the carrots themselves are not very big, maybe 4-5"
long, 1' diameter at the large end, and a very pale orange color. Since I've
never been able to get carrots to grow in the past, I'm thrilled to have
anything at all, but wondering if I did something wrong.... shouldn't these
carrot be larger and more orange? They do taste very good.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Pat is offline

"Pat" wrote
| the carrots themselves are not very big, maybe 4-5"
| long, 1' diameter at the large end

I meant to write 1" diameter... sorry

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:43:22 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

I'm in the same boat. I just planted my corn, peas and cucumbers. I
figure it will take a week for them to sprout and by then the weather
will have improved a bit. I've also planted backup plants in peat pots
which I'll use if I don't see anything growing from the ground by the
start of June.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat wrote:
I planted three kinds of beans early last week. The weather had been
quite warm, the soil was warm, and the beans were soaked overnight
before planting.

A week is not much time, I would give them another two weeks before
worrying. There isn't much you can do about it aside from sow again later
when the weather is warmer.

A few days later a cold snap started. Temps down into the high 40s
overnight, low 60s daytime. Today it's in the mid-50s and raining. I
don't see any beans coming up yet, except maybe a couple of the
limas. It's supposed to warm up again tomorrow but remain wet the
rest of the week.

Am I worrying needlessly that the beans will rot?

David

Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

[...]

I looked up beans and corn in the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward
C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1

Beans need 70-75°F to germinate and 60°F to grow. Corn needs 80°F to
germinate and 65 - 75°F to grow. If your gonna push 'em out in the cold,
you may want to help 'em by germinating them first.
--
- Billy

Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I looked up beans and corn in the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward
C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1

Beans need 70-75°F to germinate and 60°F to grow. Corn needs 80°F to
germinate and 65 - 75°F to grow. If your gonna push 'em out in the cold,
you may want to help 'em by germinating them first.

I looked up beans and corn in the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward
C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1

Beans need 70-75°F to germinate and 60°F to grow. Corn needs 80°F to
germinate and 65 - 75°F to grow. If your gonna push 'em out in the cold,
you may want to help 'em by germinating them first.

I don't know where the "Â" came from or what they mean.
--
- Billy