Old 20-05-2010, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Default 1st half of the garden is planted!

KW wrote:
Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
(been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
didn't have time to stop by and see her)

In the ground and looking mighty fine a

Tomatoes
Better Boy (X6)
Beefsteak (X6)
Roma (X6)
Cherokee Purple
Beefeater

Peppers
Salsa Pepper (X6)
Jalapeno (X2)
Orange/Yellow/Green Bell (X6)
Fooled Ya (Jumbo Jalapeno without the heat)

Cucumbers
Zucchini Squash
Yellow Squash
Watermelon
Cantaloupe

Coming up next week will be:

Peas
Green Beans
Corn
Sunflowers
Variety of ornamental flowers

Later on we'll plant the Pumpkins

Update on the perennial crops....
Cherries are about 1-2 weeks away from being ready to pick
Apples, Peaches, Pears & Blueberries are having a banner year and I have
plums for the very first time on a tree that just turned 4 years old.

KW

I have very little planted, but getting started. Onion sets are up
good, and so is the mint. I've set out 2 Better Boy tomato plants
(small ones) and a couple of big basil plants that Mrs. bought for
me. The volunteer dill is coming up all over the place. And the
way too many year-old carrot plants (the carrots are impressive the
2nd year; they'll get 6 feet tall and bloom like Queen Anne's Lace)
I don't ever harvest the carrots; they aren't any good. I just
let them reseed every year and leave a few for cut flowers.

I have 2 more Better Boy plants to set out this weekend, and a
little pot full of Roma seedlings and another pot with a few Stupice
seedlings.

Also planning to grow jalapeño and de arbol peppers, hybrid okra,
Tatume squash, pole beans, sunflowers, radishes, and more basil. I
need to get the radish and bean seeds in the ground. The rest can
wait another week or two; don't want to rush it cuz the nights are
still too cool. My tomatoes look kind of purple from getting
chilled, but they are growing so I'm not worried. I haven't decided
whether to plant the sunflowers in the flower bed or in the garden.
I should probably put them in the garden within reach of the pole
beans, and put some of the *peppers* (the de arbols) in the flower bed.

I haven't seen any volunteer tomatillos yet.

The apple tree has a good crop this year, I'll need to thin the
fruit. (I should spray it tomorrow)

Bob