Old 23-05-2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ant Lions, eastern Tiger(s) swallowtail and Slugs

Seems the modus operation is recognize damage find the culprits and
dispatch them.
Lets assume for a moment all this critters have a purpose. Some like
weak plants and some like decaying mater. So in a way they are like
litter vultures cleaning up the unified field. Now if this premise 20%
correct it would behove us to try to starve the *******s by not
providing too much in the way of stuff that needs to be cleaned up.
Otherwise the stuff with grow more abundant and the critters more
determined to clean up.

http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jsd/article/viewFile/1339/1301

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 23-05-2010, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Seems the modus operation is recognize damage find the culprits and
dispatch them.
Lets assume for a moment all this critters have a purpose. Some like
weak plants and some like decaying mater. So in a way they are like
litter vultures cleaning up the unified field. Now if this premise 20%
correct it would behove us to try to starve the *******s by not
providing too much in the way of stuff that needs to be cleaned up.
Otherwise the stuff with grow more abundant and the critters more
determined to clean up.

http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jsd/article/viewFile/1339/1301

Actually, the ant Lions, eastern Tiger(s) swallowtail and Slugs may be
in a better position than we are. Apparently, we have already overdrawn
our sustainability account.

"More and more data are indicating that humans are not living within the
carrying capacity of the planet. The Ecological footprint measures human
consumption in terms of the biologically productive land needed to
provide the resources, and absorb the wastes of the average global
citizen. In 2008 it required 2.7 global hectares per person, 30% more
than the natural biological capacity of 2.1 global hectares (assuming no
provision for other organisms)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainability

So, we need 2.7 hectares (6.67 acres)/person and we only got 2.1
hectares (5.19 acres)/person, and that's assuming that none is alloted
to other animals. Oh, and 2.1 billion more people will join up by 2050.

I'd say that we need some leadership from our dithering elected leaders,
and could you turn the fan the other direction?
--
- Billy