GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   edible berry on tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/191793-edible-berry-tree.html)

P.somniferum 30-05-2010 04:58 AM

edible berry on tree

Hi,
I saw a tree in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with purplish red berries on it. The berries themselves looked quite a bit like blue berries (except for the colour). This was however a 25+ft tree. I bit into one of the berries and it was quite sweet, had a cluster of 10 or so little seeds inside of it. Anyone know what it might be?

The berries were in bunches of 10 or so and were about the size and shape of marbles.

for some reason I'm having trouble uploading a photo I took of it. Happy to email to anyone who is willing to have a look.

cheers

phorbin 30-05-2010 12:47 PM

edible berry on tree

In article ,
says...

Hi,
I saw a tree in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with purplish red
berries on it. The berries themselves looked quite a bit like blue
berries (except for the colour). This was however a 25+ft tree. I bit
into one of the berries and it was quite sweet, had a cluster of 10 or
so little seeds inside of it. Anyone know what it might be?

The berries were in bunches of 10 or so and were about the size and
shape of marbles.

for some reason I'm having trouble uploading a photo I took of it. Happy
to email to anyone who is willing to have a look.

Post it somewhere on the net... maybe sign up with Flickr and post a
link here.

This is a text newsgroup. No pictures allowed.

Your description suggests serviceberry though I don't know anything
about the number of seeds in the fruit.

http://www.vegtalk.org/fruits/servic...ier-t1636.html

Steve Peek 30-05-2010 02:30 PM

edible berry on tree

"phorbin" wrote in message
[...]

I believe you nailed it. Serviceberry (aka juneberry, sarvisberry) is fairly
common, at least here in the SE USA. There are several species.
Steve

P.somniferum 30-05-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Peek (Post 889074)
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article
,
[...]

Serviceberry (Amelanchier) : Fruits - Vegan Forum

I believe you nailed it. Serviceberry (aka juneberry, sarvisberry) is fairly
common, at least here in the SE USA. There are several species.
Steve

Yep, I think that's it. Thanks much.

phorbin 31-05-2010 02:09 AM

edible berry on tree

In article ,
says...

Yep, I think that's it. Thanks much.

A quick lookup suggests its available from UK nurseries.