Old 25-06-2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Food Security: A Community Affair

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...lture_movement
_looks_to

AMY GOODMAN: We are on the road in Detroit. Demolition crews here are
planning to tear down 10,000 residential buildings over the next four
years that the city has deemed dangerous. But as old structures are
coming down, the city is redefining itself in other ways. An estimated
20 to 30 percent of the cityıs lots are vacant. Thereıs a growing urban
agriculture movement that community groups are using to reclaim Detroit.
Several farms currently exist within the city, and there are hundreds
more community, school and family gardens.

MALIK YAKINI: Detroit has been designated as a food desert by Mari
Gallagher, who came here and did research in 2007. And she defined a
food desert as a place where residents have to travel twice as far to
get to a major grocer as they do to get to what she calls a fringe food
location, and what we call in Detroit a party store. So we have this
real serious problem in Detroit with the lack of access to fresh and
healthy produce, which has tremendous health implications. So we have
lots of problems in Detroit with obesity, both childhood and adult
obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and other diseases which are
controllable by diet. . .

.. . . What I hope to see is a ramped-up or an increased urban
agriculture movement in the city of Detroit. I hope to see more
understanding of the value of this movement by the political leadership
within the city. But most importantly, we think, is not so much even the
political leadership, but whatıs most important is the people being
mobilized and the peopleıs consciousness being raised, so that they see
this as being a way to work on their own behalf. Once people are
mobilized and see that they can begin to work for their own benefit,
then thatıs what holds politicians accountable. If people arenıt
mobilized and able to speak on their own behalf and act on their own
behalf, then politicians come in and do whatever they want to do. So
whatıs most important always is the people being conscious and
mobilized, and thatıs what‹thatıs what really helps to shape reality.
--
- Billy
http://radwisdom.com/essays/this-is-your-brain/