GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   runner bean query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/192412-runner-bean-query.html)

green geachie 30-06-2010 09:06 PM

runner bean query

I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal? I have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 01-07-2010 01:43 AM

runner bean query

green geachie wrote:
I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red
flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal?

Are they setting fruit?

have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?

This should not be necessary and may be harmful if you over-do it. On soil
with good nutrient holding power (high clay and organic matter) once or
twice a year, on soil that has poor holding power (very sandy) maybe once a
month.

David

Josephine22 08-07-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green geachie (Post 892626)
I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal? I have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?

Apparently my parents have had exactly the same problem - flower wilts before beans have grown more than a string like inch - and they have been growing beans for years! Wonder if it is the climate this year??