Old 30-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Default runner bean query

I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal? I have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

green geachie wrote:
I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red
flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal?

Are they setting fruit?

have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?

This should not be necessary and may be harmful if you over-do it. On soil
with good nutrient holding power (high clay and organic matter) once or
twice a year, on soil that has poor holding power (very sandy) maybe once a
month.

David

Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by green geachie View Post
I have been growing runner beans for the first time. The first red flowers that came out have wilted after a few days. Is this normal? I have been using feed once a week. Any advice on any of this?
Apparently my parents have had exactly the same problem - flower wilts before beans have grown more than a string like inch - and they have been growing beans for years! Wonder if it is the climate this year??