Old 29-07-2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Marechal Foch Grapes Ripening

I live about 20 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. We had record
cold and snow last winter and record heat with little rain this
summer, a very abnormal year for weather in every regard.

When I was out in the vineyard this evening, I noticed that the
Marechal Foch grapes were fairly along in the ripening process. I
thought this was unusual for July 28, so I checked my wine log from
last year and found that I harvested the Foch grapes on August 30 last
year. It will probably take them another couple of weeks to ripen
fully, but it still seems rather early.

Only the Foch are ripening; the Concords are still hard and green.

Any ideas of what's going on? Anyone have a similar situation in their
vineyards?

Paul
Old 29-07-2010, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

I live about 20 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. We had record
cold and snow last winter and record heat with little rain this
summer, a very abnormal year for weather in every regard.

When I was out in the vineyard this evening, I noticed that the
Marechal Foch grapes were fairly along in the ripening process. I
thought this was unusual for July 28, so I checked my wine log from
last year and found that I harvested the Foch grapes on August 30 last
year. It will probably take them another couple of weeks to ripen
fully, but it still seems rather early.

Only the Foch are ripening; the Concords are still hard and green.

Any ideas of what's going on? Anyone have a similar situation in their
vineyards?

Paul

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...29523/1033/new
s?Title=Grape-harvest-lagging
Cool summer has vintners fretting about late harvest
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered User

Grapes need full sunlight and high temperatures to ripen. Marechal Foch is a vigorous, early-ripening variety, with good winter hardiness. This French hybrid grape is the most widely grown variety in Minnesota and has frequently produced some good quality red wines and Foch is one of the hardiest French hybrids.
Old 26-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered User

These were really great information given by you, I personally like all these information, well according to my point of view, I think that Marechal Foch (pronounced "mar-esh-shall-fosh"), is an inter-specific hybrid red wine grape variety. The quality of wine produced by Marechal Foch vines is highly dependent upon vine age, and the flavor profile associated with many new-world.

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
Pumpkin Ripening stripe25 Edible Gardening 1 15-10-2003 02:02 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
ripening chillis Jaques d'Altrades United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 11:28 PM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM