Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-10-2010, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

In article , ask@itshall
says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
Not to get too hard nosed about it but I think everyone should follow
the protocol of using OT: to label something that is not gardening.

Some of the subjects that I believe are deserving of the label OT (snip)

Environmental issues including Global warming/Carbon sequestration

You must be living in the US if you think that environmental issues and
climate change is OT for gardeners.

Few US gardeners seem to have yet woken up to the fact that there are some
of us gardeners in the world who HAVE to take environmental issues and
climate change into account in how we garden.

And I use the term 'climate change' as opposed to 'global warming' which
seems to only be used now by those who have no interest in the subject.

I picked the items in the list because I believe they are the
most likely to produce protracted, unpleasant exchanges.

Some topics due to their tendency to produce unpleasantness should be
labelled OT as a matter of course. Those subjects vary from group to
group though politics tends to be a universal oatmeal spoiler.

My own take on most subject matter is that common sense usually
indicates when and where the initial line needs to be drawn.

If I cooked a subject line "Climate change is affecting fairies" and in
the text stated "and they're standing in line at my dew harvesting
system to collect a sip because it's so dry here." I think I could claim
that my post is right on topic.

FWIW We've been watching Australia ever since it became clear to us that
Australia is on the front lines of climate change and the understanding
you're developing about water reserves.

I find my writing falling prey to the habit of calling climate change,
global warming now and then, maybe now now now and then. I'm working to
reeducate the neurons.

aside... We had bean volunteers come up this spring, our buddleia's wood
wasn't winter killed and a number of zone 6 to zone 7 plants made it
through. ...never happened before. We had at least a zone 6 winter in
London Ontario.