GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   small carrots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/194334-small-carrots.html)

jenhicks 05-11-2010 10:01 AM

small carrots

I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

Wilson[_5_] 05-11-2010 03:29 PM

small carrots

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the
carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that
was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot
variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've
had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly,
carrots need thinning.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Bill who putters 05-11-2010 05:07 PM

small carrots

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the
carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that
was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot
variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've
had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly,
carrots need thinning.

There is also the idea of pelleting. Basically it is taking very
small seeds and blending them in mud. Dry them run thru a sieve and
plant.

Some places do it for you.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6371-bo...lleted-og.aspx

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Mathink 08-11-2010 11:43 AM

5 inches isn't too bad for a carrot, but as you say... it was a one off...

spes123 09-11-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenhicks (Post 904404)
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

By far the most likely cause is lack of thinning, followed by the soil conditions, if the soil is heavy or has a lots of stone thaen you will get smaller carrots

grremejhones 12-05-2011 06:49 PM

I sowed allotment seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The better I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've arrested the berry packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never developed carrots so any tips would be great.

harronapex 12-05-2011 07:59 PM

anddrewjohn 18-05-2011 01:02 AM