Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Default small carrots

I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the
carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that
was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot
variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've
had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly,
carrots need thinning.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

On 11/05/10 6:01 AM, sometime in the recent past jenhicks posted this:
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the
carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that
was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot
variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've
had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

You've got to thin them. The soil needs to be deep and friable. But mostly,
carrots need thinning.

There is also the idea of pelleting. Basically it is taking very
small seeds and blending them in mud. Dry them run thru a sieve and
plant.

Some places do it for you.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6371-bo...lleted-og.aspx

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered User

5 inches isn't too bad for a carrot, but as you say... it was a one off...
__________________
Artificial Grass - This is now compulsory for me...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhicks View Post
I sowed carrot seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The biggest I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've checked the seed packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never grown carrots so any tips would be great. BTW, I've had a very successful crop of beets in the same bed.

By far the most likely cause is lack of thinning, followed by the soil conditions, if the soil is heavy or has a lots of stone thaen you will get smaller carrots

Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered User

I sowed allotment seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The better I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've arrested the berry packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never developed carrots so any tips would be great.
__________________
Hydroponic Gardening
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered User

Old 18-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Registered User

I sowed allotment seeds into beds in May and even now in November, the carrots are still tiny. The better I've had has been 5 inches but that was a one off. I've arrested the berry packet and their not a dwarf carrot variety. I've never developed carrots so any tips would be great.

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 05:18 PM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM