Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default my mulch box.

Hi,

I've got a wire mulch box from Johnies. For Christmas. Should I just pile
my yard waste in a it. Or wait until Spring. Does throwing dirt in it speed
up the process.,

Diesel.

Old 13-01-2011, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
Hi,

I've got a wire mulch box from Johnies.

I'm not sure what you mean. Why do you need a wire box for mulch? Do you
mean compost?

For Christmas. Should I just
pile my yard waste in a it. Or wait until Spring.

This sounds like you want to do composting. If the weather is too cold for
the microbes to break down the material it will just sit there until the
temperature rises enough. Depending on circumstances this may or may not be
a problem. You can help the microbes by making conditions right for them.
There are many books and other resources that go into the details of
composting. Give some though to where you put the box before you fill it.

Does throwing dirt
in it speed up the process.,

Diesel.

In principle you do need to "seed" a compost heap with microbes and/or
spores but this usually happens automatically as these are ubiquitous, so in
practice unless you want to really optimise your composting for fast
processing (and do all the other stuff required for this to happen too) it
isn't necessary. You can just do nothing and wait, it will rot eventually.

David

Old 13-01-2011, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:
Hi,

I've got a wire mulch box from Johnies.

I'm not sure what you mean. Why do you need a wire box for mulch?

I immediately thought of the wire cage one uses if you want to make Leaf
mould

Old 18-01-2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 12, 9:28*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
DogDiesel wrote:
[...]

We add a shovelful of dirt once in a while but having horses, sheep
and chickens, we jazz ours up with an occasional helping of fresh
manure.