Old 31-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Northumberland
Default Oil of cloves on pepper plants?

Hi, I'm looking for a safe insecticide to use on bell and chilli pepper plants to control blackfly. I was wondering about using diluted oil of cloves but I'm not sure if it would taint the taste of the peppers, or if it's even safe to use on peppers?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
J R HARTLEY

black aphids or black fly? Black fly here are biters... not plant
eaters

if they are aphids try he http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2770.html

try real soap or soap mix such as your clove oil

Neem Oil may work for you, I find diatomaceous earth better ( a
turkey baster will work for dusting or mix w/ water to spray)
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Location: Northumberland
Cool

Thanks for the reply.

After some more research, I think they're actually fungus gnats. I'm going to remove the top layer of compost and replenish with fresh compost and then try some potato slices laid on the compost which attracts them apparently.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R HARTLEY View Post
Thanks for the reply.

After some more research, I think they're actually fungus gnats. I'm going to remove the top layer of compost and replenish with fresh compost and then try some potato slices laid on the compost which attracts them apparently.
But this cannot control the real source of insects.
LED grow light won't burn plants