Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Root cellar

Does anyone root cellar. Is the concept of a root cellar to keep veggies
cold and in high humidity. ?? How are you supposed to keep high humidity
in the winter?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Does anyone root cellar. Is the concept of a root cellar to keep veggies
cold and in high humidity. ?? How are you supposed to keep high humidity
in the winter?

There is a good discussion about root cellars in
"Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques
Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and
Lactic Fermentation"
by The Gardeners and Farmers of Centre Terre Vivante
http://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Foo...ning/dp/193339
2592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297101828&sr=1-1
(at better libraries near you)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:

Does anyone root cellar. Is the concept of a root cellar to keep veggies
cold and in high humidity. ?? How are you supposed to keep high humidity
in the winter?

I haven't seen a real sand chamber root cellar since I was a kid except
in movies. I thought the purpose of the sand was to wick moisture away
and thus an attempt at low humidity not high.