Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The trouble with Monsanto and GMO

http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/02/0...santo-and-gmo-
dr-david-suzuki-spells-it-out/

The difference with GM food is that once the genie is out of the bottle,
it will be difficult or impossible to stuff it back. If we stop using
DDT and CFCs, nature may be able to undo most of the damage * even
nuclear waste decays over time. But GM plants are living organisms. Once
these new life forms have become established in our surroundings, they
can replicate, change, and spread; there may be no turning back. Many
ecologists are concerned about what this means to the balance of life on
Earth that has evolved over millions of years through the natural
reproduction of species.

In effect, by feeding this stuff to the American population without any
long-term studies, we¹ve made the US one giant petri dish. Europeans *
who have banned GMOs (which ought to make you wonder about safety) get
to be the control group of this planet-wide experiment.
Anyone that says, ³oh, we know that this is perfectly safe.² I say is
either unbelievably stupid, or deliberately lying. The reality is, we
don¹t know. The experiments simply haven¹t been done, and now we have
become the guinea pigs.

ŠA review of the science conducted under the*International Assessment of
Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development in 2008
concluded that ³there are a limited number of properly designed and
independently peer-reviewed studies on human health² and that this and
other observations ³create concern about the adequacy of testing
methodologies for commercial GM plants.²

ŠSome have argued that we¹ve been eating GM foods for years with few
observable negative consequences, but as we¹ve seen with things like
trans fats, if often takes a while for us to recognize the health
impacts. With GM foods,*concerns have been raised about possible effects
on stomach bacteria and resistance to antibiotics, as well as their role
in allergic reactions. We also need to understand more about their
impact on other plants and animals.

(cont.)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."