GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broken branch on apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/199081-broken-branch-apple-tree.html)

mmmkay777 28-07-2011 03:33 PM

Broken branch on apple tree

Hi, this is my first post.
I have a new apple tree in a big container, it's a dwarf. One of the branches has snapped. The apples on it and leaves are still alive though, it doesn't look like it''s hagning on by much but looks to be living at the mo. Do I leave it and chop it off when I pick the apples? Or best to chop it off now? Thanks

Jonbridge 29-07-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmkay777 (Post 931349)
Hi, this is my first post.
I have a new apple tree in a big container, it's a dwarf. One of the branches has snapped. The apples on it and leaves are still alive though, it doesn't look like it''s hagning on by much but looks to be living at the mo. Do I leave it and chop it off when I pick the apples? Or best to chop it off now? Thanks

well if the tree was ok then pruning is carried out in winter however if as you say the branch have snapped the remvoe it now as if there is bad weather then it will do mor damage, but you could have someone in the trade look at it if you are not to happy about pruining it your self