Old 19-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered User

Question Hanging Baskets

This year I'm growing 'Tumbling Tom' cherry tomatoes, strawberries and Aji limon chillies all of which I'm told are good to grow in hanging baskets. What I want to know is could I mix these plants? i.e could I grow the chillies and the tomatoes in the same basket?

I'd probably keep the strawberries seperate but I thought it may be nice to mix the Tumbling Tom (yellow & red) and the yellow chillies.

Any comments or advice please?

PS - I live in North West England

Thanks
Old 19-03-2012, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hanging Baskets

JonnyBeBad wrote:
This year I'm growing 'Tumbling Tom' cherry tomatoes, strawberries and
Aji limon chillies all of which I'm told are good to grow in hanging
baskets. What I want to know is could I mix these plants? i.e could I
grow the chillies and the tomatoes in the same basket?

Sure. The usual caveats about competition apply though, if multiple plants
of either (or any) species are competing for nutrients, sun or water then
all will have less than maximum vigour. So it depends on the size of the
basket. Make sure it hangs in a warm sunny spot sheltered from wind and
check every day that it isn't too dry.

Old 20-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBeBad View Post
This year I'm growing 'Tumbling Tom' cherry tomatoes, strawberries and Aji limon chillies all of which I'm told are good to grow in hanging baskets. What I want to know is could I mix these plants? i.e could I grow the chillies and the tomatoes in the same basket?

I'd probably keep the strawberries seperate but I thought it may be nice to mix the Tumbling Tom (yellow & red) and the yellow chillies.

Any comments or advice please?

PS - I live in North West England

Thanks
Start by drilling a 3/4" hole in the center of bottom of the pot. Hang the pot, and insert a Tomato plant upside down into the bottom of the pot. Gently pack dirt around the tomato root, and then fill with a good potting soil. In the center of the pot plant a pepper plant and then a cilantro plant near the edge of the pot.

At first the tomato will grow sideways and try to grow up the side of the pot. As it gets larger, it will start to hang down and get bushy. Early Girl Tomato or Cherry Tomato work best.

As the Cilantro matures, clip with scissors to slow the Cilantro going to seed. When the Cilantro is mature, plant a seed on the other side of the pot to ensure Cilantro all summer. Repeat on all four sides as needed.
Fruit Trees
Old 20-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
Start by drilling a 3/4" hole in the center of bottom of the pot. Hang the pot, and insert a Tomato plant upside down into the bottom of the pot. Gently pack dirt around the tomato root, and then fill with a good potting soil. In the center of the pot plant a pepper plant and then a cilantro plant near the edge of the pot.
Great! Thanks for the advice. Allen, I love the idea of hanging the tomatoes underneath the basket and as I'm already growing peppers and herds I can use your other ideas too. I must admit that I had to google 'Cilantro'.