Old 29-07-2012, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pruning summer squash?

My yellow crookneck squash have overrun and killed my green beans, and
they are threatening my tomatoes and okra. If I cut them back, will
they branch back out like pumpkins, or will it kill them to lose the
growing tip?

I've read some Internet articles about thinning the leaves of zucchini,
but not about cutting the vines.

Bob
Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
My yellow crookneck squash have overrun and killed my green beans, and
they are threatening my tomatoes and okra. If I cut them back, will
they branch back out like pumpkins, or will it kill them to lose the
growing tip?

I've read some Internet articles about thinning the leaves of zucchini,
but not about cutting the vines.

Bob
Pruning will not hurt the plant, as long as you leave the main roots. You may end up with larger squash as a result of pruning. Alternately, you can move the too-long vine by picking it up and resettling it elsewhere in the garden. Moved vines may appear wilted, but will recover in a couple of days. If the vine has put out roots, gently loosen the roots from the soil before moving them.

To cut back a squash plant, identify four to five developing fruit that you want to leave. Snip off vines that do not have a fruit developing at their base, or cut them back to a leaf node. To cut back fruiting vines, count two leaves out from the fruit, then snip the vine at the tip of the next node, or just after the third leaf from the baby squash. Take care not to crush vines when examining or pruning.
Fruit Trees