GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   purslane, revisited (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/204651-purslane-revisited.html)

George[_10_] 29-07-2012 04:44 PM

purslane, revisited

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,

Billy[_12_] 30-07-2012 06:43 AM

purslane, revisited

In article ,
George wrote:

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,

Why not eat it in your salads? The same thing with dandelions. How can
you afford to throw out good food?
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/purslane.html

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

George[_10_] 30-07-2012 12:18 PM

purslane, revisited

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:43:17 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
George wrote:

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,

Why not eat it in your salads? ...

We do eat it, every day. But, there's still a lot that needs to be
dealt with.

Drew Lawson[_2_] 30-07-2012 09:27 PM

purslane, revisited

In article
George writes:
For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning.

I'm a mulcher, and I don't have any trouble with it coming up through
the thick blanket. If you do bare-dirt, that may be different.

For that matter, I don't have much trouble with it coming back if
I just pull it and leave it to dry on the surface.

But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

It's sort of a succulent. It seems dense, but that's mainly well
structured water.

I set aside a few plants when weeding a while back, but I haven't
been in a salad mood to pick any. On the flip side, it has been
dry enough that they haven't grown much since I spared their lives.

Next year I may get some fresh lettuce or spinach growing. Then
the purslane will get attention.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind