Old 29-07-2012, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default purslane, revisited

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,
Old 30-07-2012, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George wrote:

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,

Why not eat it in your salads? The same thing with dandelions. How can
you afford to throw out good food?
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/purslane.html

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 30-07-2012, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:43:17 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
George wrote:

For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning. But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

Thanks,

Why not eat it in your salads? ...

We do eat it, every day. But, there's still a lot that needs to be
dealt with.
Old 30-07-2012, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
George writes:
For those who encourage (or tolerate) purslane, what do you do at the
end of the season? Specifically, turn it under, or pull it? (Or
anything else, for that matter.)

My understanding is that it propagates from cuttings, which makes
turning it under a little concerning.

I'm a mulcher, and I don't have any trouble with it coming up through
the thick blanket. If you do bare-dirt, that may be different.

For that matter, I don't have much trouble with it coming back if
I just pull it and leave it to dry on the surface.

But, it's rather dense, which
makes me wonder if I'd be depleting the soil to just yank it out.

It's sort of a succulent. It seems dense, but that's mainly well
structured water.

I set aside a few plants when weeding a while back, but I haven't
been in a salad mood to pick any. On the flip side, it has been
dry enough that they haven't grown much since I spared their lives.

Next year I may get some fresh lettuce or spinach growing. Then
the purslane will get attention.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind
| Had no spare

Mizuna and Winter Purslane ajr United Kingdom 9 08-07-2010 01:29 PM
Purslane Christina Websell[_2_] United Kingdom 20 07-05-2010 09:01 PM
Purslane Highest plant with omega 3 Bill who putters Gardening 1 15-03-2010 02:17 AM
Purslane zxcvbob Edible Gardening 33 30-08-2007 01:53 PM
Looking for a local source for Golden Purslane (Portulaca sativa) La Vie Dansante Texas 0 04-06-2005 02:46 AM