Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Mark

Default "Dead" kiwi?

"lummy" wrote in message ...
I just saw on todays episode of Volunteer gardener if you are unsure at
whether a plant is still alive is to scrape a little bit off from the branch
if it is still green underneath it is still alive.
deb
"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I got three kiwi vines (NZ hearty variety) a while ago and planted
them along a fencerow. 2 female, 1 male. 1 female and the male have
evidently taken root and are growing pretty well: two or three shoots
off each, about 1' high or so. The third one sprouted a short green
bud, but it turned blackish/brown and the plant has henceforth failed
to sprout any further greenery.

This is my first time trying to grow any fruiting vines, and I don't
know if this series of events means the third kiwi just died, or if it
has just gotten a really slow start. Should I leave it be and hope it
comes alive, or should I dig it up and buy another female to replace
it?

Thanks,
Mark

I just noticed a **teeny** tiny green point coming out of a crease on
the dry stub of the kiwi vine in question. It remains to be seen
whether this is true growth or a bit of schmutz stuck in an
interesting place, but I'm hopeful.

Mark, MD