Old 24-09-2012, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Scary Study - Roundup

Farm1 wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , times says...

As a farmer, I know what RoundUp does. I have sprayed quack grass
with it
and it works well at the recommended rate. Not bad on Canadian
thistle when applied when they are in the rosette stage in August
or early September. When used for its intended purposes it is a
great product. Other activities of Monsanto with breeding of RR
resistant varieties, I question.

The application, by farmers, of Roundup to weeds is not the same
thing as a
'lifetime feeding study'.

Though a lifetime feeding study should the study be replicable will
probably (after Monsanto has pretended that the studies are flawed,
hammered it with PR droppings and dragged its feet for a decade)
affect the application by farmers of Roundup.

Indeed. But then that would be the whole point behind the conduct of
such a study.

If you want to read some really scary stuff about the politicising and abuse
of science and studies have a look at "The republican war on science" or
better still, because it is wider in scope and not directed so much at one
party "The merchants of doubt". My old mate Fred Singer appears in a
star-studded lineup. These are both USA-centred but especially in the
latter the authors show how this kind of corruption has consequences that go
around the world.

We have seen some attempts to import some of this bilge (as if we don't have
enough home grown idiots) where Brendan Nelson incautiously started sucking
on the teat of Intelligent Design (AKA Creationism).

Old 25-09-2012, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks David, I will, but no doubt will end up totally depressed at the end
of my reaidng.

We have seen some attempts to import some of this bilge (as if we don't
have enough home grown idiots) where Brendan Nelson incautiously started
sucking on the teat of Intelligent Design (AKA Creationism).

I'd forgotten about that! Yes, very disturbing. Mind you, I find Abbott
even far more disturbing than a whole boat load and any number of other
conservative politicans put together.

Old 25-09-2012, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:
In article , times says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Farm1,

How's the weather in upside-down land?

Trending dry all over the east but not yet a serious problem, some of North
NSW and south QLD are declared "marginal" though the models are predicting
wetter than median in those areas next quarter. The BOM is equivocating
whether we will have an El Nino summer. I have had one good shower of rain
in 9 weeks, due to the wonders of the Big Subterranean Sponge the pasture
has spring growth but if there is no rain soon that will brown off pretty
soon.

David

Old 25-09-2012, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
phorbin wrote:
In article , times says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
[...]

I had to put a sprinkler on yesterday because one of my veggie beds was
gagging for a drink.