GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poorly plants... :( (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/205845-poorly-plants.html)

solar flick 28-11-2012 04:10 AM

Poorly plants... :(

2 Attachment(s)
I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well, until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer, but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or can the plants recover?

Many thanks.

Roy[_4_] 28-11-2012 04:34 PM

Poorly plants... :(

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:10:51 PM UTC-7, solar flick wrote:
I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well,

until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells

back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer,

but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and

crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's

no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or

can the plants recover?

Many thanks.

|Filename: small.gif |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15420|

|Filename: small-2.gif |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15421|

solar flick

They MIGHT recover if you remove ALL of the crap you added. Then flush well
with clear water...allow to dry down a bit and then water with a complete
fertilizer solution. Subsequent use of a tomato fertilizer for regular
waterings would be advisable.

Farm1[_4_] 29-11-2012 01:05 AM

Poorly plants... :(

"solar flick" wrote in message

I had several varieties of tomatoes that were all growing really well,
until I went on holiday, and decided to bring some seaweed and seashells
back with me.

I applied them to the garden thinking they would make great fertilizer,
but several days later, the lower leaves started going speckly, and
crispy.

I'm not 100% sure it was the seaweed tea/crushed seashells, but there's
no other explanation (other than virus or disease).

Can anyone identify the issue, and please tell me if it's terminal, or
can the plants recover?

I notice you are in the UK. From the way you've worded your query it sounds
like these tomatoes are ones you are growing right now. If so, it's not
the season fro growing tomatoes so dont' even try. Dump them and stop
wondering. Try again next summer.

solar flick 29-11-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 973868)
solar flick wrote:[color=blue][i]

Salt?

Yes, now you mention it, I'm wondering if that's not it.

If you're right, and that's what it is... should I pull up all the plants and start again, do you think?

:(

solar flick 29-11-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farm1[_4_] (Post 973947)
[...]

I'm British, yes, but I live in Thailand...

solar flick 03-12-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 973975)
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;973868']solar flick wrote:

Salt?

Yes, now you mention it, I'm wondering if that's not it.

If you're right, and that's what it is... should I pull up all the
plants and start again, do you think?

:(

Yep. Next spring

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME advice..... if we HAD a ''spring''.

tomwatson 01-02-2013 10:04 PM

the gardener think that it would be very easy to maintain the tomato plant...but it would be difficult..

tomwatson 01-02-2013 10:10 PM

tomato production be on large scale...if we maintain the manure and seeds..

tomwatson 01-02-2013 10:13 PM

it depends......by the way all poast are nice..

allen73 11-02-2013 10:33 AM

You might be able to shock them into a fruiting phase by rototilling gently around the roots, obviously not hitting any of them. Put air in the over-fertilized soil and yes, shake the plants up a little bit emotionally with the vibration. Water. You could also completely rototill the area, take up this new fertilized mulch, and create a brand new garden bed. Use organic tomato fertilizer once you cleared out everything.