Old 23-05-2013, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Finally

I got my tomatoes into the ground last Thursday and Friday, about 2 to
3 weeks later than usual. One of them was not happy so replaced it.
It is still so wet that I can't get my melons and squashes into the
ground without leaving footprints that are at least 1" deep. DH
tilled that part of the garden about a week ago and it is still soggy.
I may try putting down some cardboard to work from and see what
happens.

I think the area where I plan to put my eggplant, peppers and cukes is
workable. It has not been tilled in a couple of years so is not so
soft that you sink when you try to walk on it.

Most of out fruit trees are full. Hope we can get to them before the
critters do. Of course that does mean that I will be very busy
canning, freezing, drying and making jams and jellies in addition to
eating them.

The asparagus is slowing down now. Rhubarb is doing well. Need to
pick some soon and maybe make a pie. I've already done jelly, custard
cake and just cooked with sugar. Maybe I will freeze some until I get
another inspiration.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 24-05-2013, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:

I got my tomatoes into the ground last Thursday and Friday, about 2 to
3 weeks later than usual. One of them was not happy so replaced it.
It is still so wet that I can't get my melons and squashes into the
ground without leaving footprints that are at least 1" deep. DH
tilled that part of the garden about a week ago and it is still soggy.
I may try putting down some cardboard to work from and see what
happens.

cardboard may be too easily damaged once it gets
damp, but if you can find some thin plywood or a wide
board to move around that does help.

sometimes we joke about tying on a life-line...

I think the area where I plan to put my eggplant, peppers and cukes is
workable. It has not been tilled in a couple of years so is not so
soft that you sink when you try to walk on it.

in areas where i know i'll be putting in formal
rows i'll spread down some wood chips before walking
on the soil so that helps keep it from sticking to
things. cardboard is ok too if i plan on leaving
it down, but then i like to cover that with something
else to keep it from getting moved about if we get
a heavy storm/winds.

Most of out fruit trees are full. Hope we can get to them before the
critters do. Of course that does mean that I will be very busy
canning, freezing, drying and making jams and jellies in addition to
eating them.

i'm envious of anyone who has fruit trees. i
hope you get a great pile of fruit out of all of
them.

The asparagus is slowing down now. Rhubarb is doing well. Need to
pick some soon and maybe make a pie. I've already done jelly, custard
cake and just cooked with sugar. Maybe I will freeze some until I get
another inspiration.

or energy! that's a lot of effort to keep up with
when you have plenty other things to do. i'm glad to hear
things are progressing well for you down there.

songbird