Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered User

Default Potato Problem

Could someone please tell me what potato problem I have here?! The leaves are curling up and the plants look as if they are dying off. It's not affecting all the plants but I'm wondering if it will spread if I don't take the diseased ones out.
Attached Thumbnails
Potato Problem-potato-problem.jpg
Old 03-07-2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

frostynick said:

Could someone please tell me what potato problem I have here?! The
leaves are curling up and the plants look as if they are dying off. It's
not affecting all the plants but I'm wondering if it will spread if I
don't take the diseased ones out.

|Filename: Potato problem.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php

attachmentid=15679|

It could be blackleg, a bacterial disease.

Yes, pull the affected plants as soon as possible.

(Has it been warmer and damper than usual?)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=223

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post
frostynick said:

Could someone please tell me what potato problem I have here?! The
leaves are curling up and the plants look as if they are dying off. It's
not affecting all the plants but I'm wondering if it will spread if I
don't take the diseased ones out.

|Filename: Potato problem.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?

attachmentid=15679|

It could be blackleg, a bacterial disease.

Yes, pull the affected plants as soon as possible.

(Has it been warmer and damper than usual?)

Potato blackleg / Royal Horticultural Society

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored
Hi Pat

Many thanks for your reply and the RHS link - I will destroy the affected plants and hope for the best with the others!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:13:05 AM UTC-4, frostynick wrote:
Could someone please tell me what potato problem I have here?! The

leaves are curling up and the plants look as if they are dying off. It's

not affecting all the plants but I'm wondering if it will spread if I

don't take the diseased ones out.

|Filename: Potato problem.jpg |

|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15679|

frostynick

Probably bacterial but check the pH of your soil. We had a similar problem several years ago that we solved by correcting the soil pH. I googled "pH for growing potatoes" and found this:

"Potatoes grow best in an acidic soil with a pH level between 5.2 and 6.0. It is possible for them to grow in a higher pH, but the risk of developing a disease called “scab” is more likely."
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
frostynick wrote:

'Pat Kiewicz[_2_ Wrote:
;986811']frostynick said:-

Could someone please tell me what potato problem I have here?! The
leaves are curling up and the plants look as if they are dying off.
It's
not affecting all the plants but I'm wondering if it will spread if I
don't take the diseased ones out.

|Filename: Potato problem.jpg |
|Download: http://tinyurl.com/3txamgj-
attachmentid=15679|-
-

(http://tinyurl.com/qfgbn3z)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Hi Pat

Many thanks for your reply and the RHS link - I will destroy the
affected plants and hope for the best with the others!

You may want to poke some hole in the ground around the potatoes, and
pour in some sulfur dust, in order to drop the pH.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.