Old 16-03-2014, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Berry update

I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new growth - I
was worried because they got lightly frosted the very night I planted them .
Finally , some strawberries in my berry own garden !
--
Snag

Old 16-03-2014, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet shoot.

Old 16-03-2014, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet
shoot.

I'll be covering them tomorrow night , temps predicted to be around 24°F
and I don't want to chance it . I'm just thrilled to finally get some to
grow , I've had a couple of failures . Probably because of the quality of
plants I bought . Funny thing is these were just as cheap as the ones that
failed .
--
Snag

Old 17-03-2014, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet shoot.

That's my experience with strawberries too. We get temps down to
-9degreesC and the strawb plants have never seemed to be frost damaged.

Old 17-03-2014, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet
shoot.

That's my experience with strawberries too. We get temps down to
-9degreesC and the strawb plants have never seemed to be frost
damaged.

I may be a bit gunshy , these are the first I've gotten to actually grow .
Right now it's about 23° here and mine are covered . I had to improvise , I
put a foam plate upside down over each plant ant held it down with a small
rock .
--
Snag

Old 17-03-2014, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:05:15 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Fran Farmer wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet
shoot.

That's my experience with strawberries too. We get temps down to
-9degreesC and the strawb plants have never seemed to be frost
damaged.

I may be a bit gunshy , these are the first I've gotten to actually grow .
Right now it's about 23° here and mine are covered . I had to improvise , I
put a foam plate upside down over each plant ant held it down with a small
rock .

Here is the note I made when we got freezing temps in April 2007. All
of the plants survived even if some of the berries didn't.

"April 7,8,9,10 temperatures got down to mid to low 20s. Beets were
covered with thin row cover and most did not survive. The other cold
weather crops mostly survived. The strawberries that were covered
with blankets from the first night seem fine. The ones that were not
covered the berries froze."

We have been getting freezing rain here this morning. Hope the onions
survive. I'm not worried about the pea seeds.

Will get into the greenhouse when I can get down the steps from the
deck without breaking my neck.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 18-03-2014, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 18/03/2014 12:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new
growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very
night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own
garden !

The strawberries I have will take a hard frost, the other 4 may yet
shoot.

That's my experience with strawberries too. We get temps down to
-9degreesC and the strawb plants have never seemed to be frost
damaged.

I may be a bit gunshy , these are the first I've gotten to actually grow .

I'd be gun shy too in your situation. Once they start spreading all
over your garden, you won't worry aobut them quite so much :-))

Right now it's about 23° here and mine are covered . I had to improvise , I
put a foam plate upside down over each plant ant held it down with a small
rock .

Well it's best to be a bit concerned about freezing temps with newly
planted plants. I'd be interested to know why you've had to try so many
times to get strawbs to grow. Any ideas as to why its been so difficult?
Old 18-03-2014, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:

Well it's best to be a bit concerned about freezing temps with newly
planted plants. I'd be interested to know why you've had to try so
many times to get strawbs to grow. Any ideas as to why its been so
difficult?

Because I bought those cheapie bagged and packed-in-moss suckers from
Walmart . Were probably dead when I got 'em . These came from the nursery at
a local grocery - and they have a very nice nursery , managed by a nice
young lady with a hort degree . Fruit trees will be coming in soon , and
I've already discussed what we want to do with her . Varieties have been
selected according to what she's getting and what we want - she doesn't
order anything that doesn't do well in this area . Melissa will be our
go-to-girl for garden/vineyard/orchard questions and problems from now on .
--
Snag
And 13 of 14 are showing

Old 19-03-2014, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'll be covering them tomorrow night , temps predicted to be around 24°F
and I don't want to chance it . I'm just thrilled to finally get some to
grow , I've had a couple of failures . Probably because of the quality of
plants I bought . Funny thing is these were just as cheap as the ones that
failed .

Nah - the ones that failed where just as expensive as good ones.

Once established, anyway, the plants will take a great deal (they
typically have some green on them right through the New England winter,
though this year we actually have snow cover on the garden) - it's the
blossoms &/or fruit that get whacked in a frost/freeze.

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
Another berry challenge Tim Tyler United Kingdom 22 24-07-2003 09:12 PM
berry pictures larry Gardening 3 20-05-2003 12:44 AM
winter berry plant ev United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Birds love the Saskatoon berry Dr. Sweeny Orchids 4 11-03-2003 11:21 PM