GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Harvest Begins (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/210193-harvest-begins.html)

Terry Coombs 07-07-2014 11:32 PM

The Harvest Begins

Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans kentucky
wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice zucchini and one
summer squash , the green onions are ready , and this morning I picked a
quart of wild blackberries . When the tomatoes start to ripen , we'll be
buried ... and that's only a matter of a few days now .
All my work the last few months is coming to fruition ... pun intended .
--
Snag
And the beehive is doing just swell ,

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 08-07-2014 03:31 PM

The Harvest Begins

Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and this
morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the tomatoes start
to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a matter of a few days now .
All my work the last few months is coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they cleaned up
real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and delayed spring).
Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been wet, and the bulbs
turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so I had more than the
normal loss during storage.

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last two
days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is showing
silks and the tassels have popped up.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Terry Coombs 08-07-2014 04:52 PM

The Harvest Begins

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and
this morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the
tomatoes start to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a
matter of a few days now . All my work the last few months is
coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they
cleaned up real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and
delayed spring). Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been
wet, and the bulbs turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so
I had more than the normal loss during storage.

I've been wondering , just when is the "right" time to plant garlic ? I
bought a large package of the stuff we like from WM , with the intent to
plant some this summer , I just ain't sure when to plant .

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last
two days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

I just planted about a hundred more green onions , they grow well here and
we like 'em .

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is
showing silks and the tassels have popped up.

I've been out in the garden all morning . We've got pumpkins , acorn and
early summer squashes , zucchini , and cucumbers all on the vines now . Some
of the tomatoes are getting larger than baseballs , and the green beans have
started producing . The 14 strawberries Ozark Beauty IIRC I planted early
are now more like 50 plants , runnin' all over . I've already harvested
BokChoi seed for a late summer planting , and the Romaine,Iceberg , and
spinach have all bolted - will be saving seed from all of them . Oh , and
the Cayennes are loaded with blossoms and fruit , eggplants are blooming ,
and the okra has decided to jump right up and get growin' now too .
The wife's gonna have some canning to do ...
--
Snag

Terry Coombs 09-07-2014 12:45 AM

The Harvest Begins

phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

I've been wondering , just when is the "right" time to plant
garlic ? I bought a large package of the stuff we like from WM ,
with the intent to plant some this summer , I just ain't sure when
to plant .

Late October through mid November.

For harvest right about now.

Thank you . It looks like we'll eat this bag and I'll get another come
planting time . Garlic is one of choose deity's greatest gifts to mankind
..
I just used a few cloves to make some garlic oil to sear the pork steaks
and squash parmesan in before going in the oven to finish .
--
Snag