Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The Harvest Begins

Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans kentucky
wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice zucchini and one
summer squash , the green onions are ready , and this morning I picked a
quart of wild blackberries . When the tomatoes start to ripen , we'll be
buried ... and that's only a matter of a few days now .
All my work the last few months is coming to fruition ... pun intended .
--
Snag
And the beehive is doing just swell ,

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and this
morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the tomatoes start
to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a matter of a few days now .
All my work the last few months is coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they cleaned up
real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and delayed spring).
Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been wet, and the bulbs
turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so I had more than the
normal loss during storage.

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last two
days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is showing
silks and the tassels have popped up.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and
this morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the
tomatoes start to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a
matter of a few days now . All my work the last few months is
coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they
cleaned up real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and
delayed spring). Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been
wet, and the bulbs turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so
I had more than the normal loss during storage.

I've been wondering , just when is the "right" time to plant garlic ? I
bought a large package of the stuff we like from WM , with the intent to
plant some this summer , I just ain't sure when to plant .

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last
two days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

I just planted about a hundred more green onions , they grow well here and
we like 'em .

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is
showing silks and the tassels have popped up.

I've been out in the garden all morning . We've got pumpkins , acorn and
early summer squashes , zucchini , and cucumbers all on the vines now . Some
of the tomatoes are getting larger than baseballs , and the green beans have
started producing . The 14 strawberries Ozark Beauty IIRC I planted early
are now more like 50 plants , runnin' all over . I've already harvested
BokChoi seed for a late summer planting , and the Romaine,Iceberg , and
spinach have all bolted - will be saving seed from all of them . Oh , and
the Cayennes are loaded with blossoms and fruit , eggplants are blooming ,
and the okra has decided to jump right up and get growin' now too .
The wife's gonna have some canning to do ...
--
Snag

And the cutting begins... CJ Lawns 0 18-05-2004 02:27 PM
Snow Crocus Season Begins paghat Gardening 6 29-01-2004 10:32 AM
Glosso: When it begins to spread? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Toad song begins...crickets on speed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 06-04-2003 09:20 AM
Glosso: When it begins to spread? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 08-03-2003 02:23 PM