Old 13-07-2014, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default anyone heard from Billy lately?

sent him a note some time ago and all is
still quiet, i know he said they might be
moving, but it would be nice to hear if
someone knows what's up. this address is
workable for e-mail...

songbird
Old 14-07-2014, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 13/07/2014 2:41 PM, songbird wrote:
sent him a note some time ago and all is
still quiet, i know he said they might be
moving, but it would be nice to hear if
someone knows what's up. this address is
workable for e-mail...

Sorry songbird, I haven't seen him round for ages. But then just the
other day I was wondering where you'd gone as I thought you'd been
missing for some time.

Billy used to bait Frank in some other newsgroup so Frank may be able to
say if he's still around.

Old 14-07-2014, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:

sent him a note some time ago and all is
still quiet, i know he said they might be
moving, but it would be nice to hear if
someone knows what's up. this address is
workable for e-mail...

Sorry songbird, I haven't seen him round for ages. But then just the
other day I was wondering where you'd gone as I thought you'd been
missing for some time.

my ancient recycled computer froze up and
i had to get a replacement motherboard (which
is also used so i don't have much confidence
it will last all that long either). as i'm
not doing anything critical i didn't keep an
up-to-date spare around.

i made Ma very happy by using this break
and the rainy days as a way to get rid of half
a closet full of old computers/computer parts
and old/broken electronics i was keeping just
in case i needed a part for something...
five computer boxes was a bit too many. the
guy who did the motherboard replacement is also
a recycling drop off point which worked out
very nicely. it is always an exercise in
nostalgia. boxes of paperwork yet to wade
through (the worms will be well fed ).

Billy used to bait Frank in some other newsgroup so Frank may be able to
say if he's still around.

i just don't have the stomach to look in some
of those groups after i took a peek a few months
ago.

songbird
Old 14-07-2014, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/13/2014 9:38 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 13/07/2014 2:41 PM, songbird wrote:
sent him a note some time ago and all is
still quiet, i know he said they might be
moving, but it would be nice to hear if
someone knows what's up. this address is
workable for e-mail...

Sorry songbird, I haven't seen him round for ages. But then just the
other day I was wondering where you'd gone as I thought you'd been
missing for some time.

Billy used to bait Frank in some other newsgroup so Frank may be able to
say if he's still around.

He bugged us in tx.guns but has also been absent there.
I crossposted songbirds note and only got a chuckle there.
People come and go. I wish him well.
Old 15-07-2014, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 14/07/2014 3:10 PM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:

sent him a note some time ago and all is
still quiet, i know he said they might be
moving, but it would be nice to hear if
someone knows what's up. this address is
workable for e-mail...

Sorry songbird, I haven't seen him round for ages. But then just the
other day I was wondering where you'd gone as I thought you'd been
missing for some time.

my ancient recycled computer froze up and
i had to get a replacement motherboard (which
is also used so i don't have much confidence
it will last all that long either). as i'm
not doing anything critical i didn't keep an
up-to-date spare around.

Ah. You have my sympathies.

Our computer died last December whilst I was away and my husband had to
get a new one. Bloody Microsoft and its stinking new software..... A
pox on them for thinking that it was worth releasing on the world. I
hate this sodding new software.

i made Ma very happy by using this break
and the rainy days as a way to get rid of half
a closet full of old computers/computer parts
and old/broken electronics i was keeping just
in case i needed a part for something...
five computer boxes was a bit too many. the
guy who did the motherboard replacement is also
a recycling drop off point which worked out
very nicely. it is always an exercise in
nostalgia. boxes of paperwork yet to wade
through (the worms will be well fed ).

Well that sounds productive!

Billy used to bait Frank in some other newsgroup so Frank may be able to
say if he's still around.

i just don't have the stomach to look in some
of those groups after i took a peek a few months
ago.

I've not looked and am not tempted either :-))

Lets hope Billy is OK and will return to us in the not too distant
future. Is he a Facebook user??? Might you find him there if you know
his real name?

Old 15-07-2014, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
Lets hope Billy is OK and will return to us in the not too distant
future. Is he a Facebook user??? Might you find him there if you
know his real name?

AFAIK it is Billy (William?) Rose

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.
Old 15-07-2014, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:

....computer froze...

Ah. You have my sympathies.

it was ok. i didn't start having serious
withdrawals and shaking until the start of
the second week.

Our computer died last December whilst I was away and my husband had to
get a new one. Bloody Microsoft and its stinking new software..... A
pox on them for thinking that it was worth releasing on the world. I
hate this sodding new software.

i'm running Debian (a Linux distribution) so there's
not much Microsoft anything that i'm using any longer.
i was just about to reformat the last partition on
this machine which had my WinXP stuff on it, which
no longer works now that the motherboard has been
changed and there's no need for me to bother redoing
it...

i really hate the recent changes in a lot of the
software that i used to run (dumbed down so people
can use it on "Smartphones" heh, right) and so switched
to a different version which is more like what i want
to use. thank goodness for each volunteer who makes
it all work. i do my part by testing new versions
and reporting bugs.

my hardware doesn't support high speed graphics
or have a ton of memory so those new versions of
programs were not running all that well, but my
biggest problems with it all was the various
assumptions about focus of windows and how to get
things done which are much slower than i was used
to working. it was like being forced to use a
keyboard with a pencil eraser in my teeth. blech!

....getting rid of old computer parts...

Well that sounds productive!

making Ma happy once in a while is a good
thing, but i try not to get in the habit as
i don't want her to be as spoiled as i am.
-- joke.

Lets hope Billy is OK and will return to us in the not too distant
future. Is he a Facebook user??? Might you find him there if you know
his real name?

no idea, i don't do FB any more than i do
live journal or twitter. yep, hope he's doing
fine and just getting moved like he mentioned
he might be doing.

ok, back to weeding, we have this odd weather
pattern today from a swirling high pressure zone
so it rains for a few moments, then it goes away,
so i'll see if i can get back out there...

songbird
Old 15-07-2014, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/15/2014 2:17 PM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

Last Billy post I see was in tex.guns late January.
With a name you do a google search which would give urls to other sites
like Facebook. My name is easy to search as there are not many of us of
the same name.

Too hot and humid to work outside.