GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Begonias OT (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/210835-ot-begonias-ot.html)

Terry Coombs 29-10-2014 01:04 PM

OT Begonias OT

Does anybody here cultivate them ? We have 2 planter boxes 1x1x3 feet
with 3 nice plants in each . I read yesterday that they're considered
perennials , and I'd like to try to keep these alive ... If I had somewhere
inside to keep them I would , but there's just not room here . I do have
materials , and could build a hot box of sorts on the SE or SW side of the
house if moderating cold temps will help . Just an acceleration of plans ,
I will be building those hot boxes anyway for spring seedlings.

--
Snag

Boron Elgar[_2_] 29-10-2014 06:17 PM

OT Begonias OT

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:04:25 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Does anybody here cultivate them ? We have 2 planter boxes 1x1x3 feet
with 3 nice plants in each . I read yesterday that they're considered
perennials , and I'd like to try to keep these alive ... If I had somewhere
inside to keep them I would , but there's just not room here . I do have
materials , and could build a hot box of sorts on the SE or SW side of the
house if moderating cold temps will help . Just an acceleration of plans ,
I will be building those hot boxes anyway for spring seedlings.

What kind of begonias are they? Makes a diff.

Boron

Terry Coombs 29-10-2014 09:49 PM

OT Begonias OT

wrote:

Does anybody here cultivate them ? We have 2 planter boxes 1x1x3
feet with 3 nice plants in each . I read yesterday that they're
considered perennials , and I'd like to try to keep these alive ...
If I had somewhere inside to keep them I would , but there's just
not room here . I do have materials , and could build a hot box of
sorts on the SE or SW side of the house if moderating cold temps
will help . Just an acceleration of plans , I will be building
those hot boxes anyway for spring seedlings.

What kind of begonias are they? Makes a diff.

Boron

I'm not certain , but I think they're the waxy leaf kind . I can post a pic
on my photobucket site if that would help . The leaves are kind of reddish ,
flowers are pink , white , and red .

--
Snag

Boron Elgar[_2_] 29-10-2014 10:20 PM

OT Begonias OT

wrote:

Does anybody here cultivate them ? We have 2 planter boxes 1x1x3
feet with 3 nice plants in each . I read yesterday that they're
considered perennials , and I'd like to try to keep these alive ...
If I had somewhere inside to keep them I would , but there's just
not room here . I do have materials , and could build a hot box of
sorts on the SE or SW side of the house if moderating cold temps
will help . Just an acceleration of plans , I will be building
those hot boxes anyway for spring seedlings.

What kind of begonias are they? Makes a diff.

Boron

I'm not certain , but I think they're the waxy leaf kind . I can post a pic
on my photobucket site if that would help . The leaves are kind of reddish ,
flowers are pink , white , and red .

Easiest thing is try to find your type of begonia online, then do a
fast Google for "Over wintering XXX begonias."

I advise this as it was not more than a week ago I was looking for an
alternative or two form my tuberous begonias which have been so
gorgeous this year.

Boron